German blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I want your opinions on how many German blue rams I can keep in a 1000 litre heavily planted tank with lots of hiding places and what you would recommend on the male to female ratio?

That's about 250 gallons. So theoretically a bunch but, what other fish are in the tank?

None ATM but nothing agressive, mainly like tetras a pleco and some shrimp and frogs is what's planned, I have kept a breeding pair in a 92g with no problems but read they fight??

Shane87 said:
None ATM but nothing agressive, mainly like tetras a pleco and some shrimp and frogs is what's planned, I have kept a breeding pair in a 92g with no problems but read they fight??

I would move the frogs. They might get out compeated for food.

I haven't got anything yet I am just getting the tank for Christmas and researching now :) I had a frog in my community before and he was fine I just made sure the food made it to him, do you think a small group of frogs be harder to keep?

I have a 220 gallon very heavily planted tank and have 11 rams without problems. The tank has angels, tetras, cory's, and others. You just have to be sure to add DW and arrange plants so there are plenty of hidey holes, and different areas for individuals and pairs. Sometimes with all the plants you don't even see one. The only time I see them all is feeding time. That is the only problem with rams in a huge tank, you know they are there but don't always see them. As for problems, I've not had any bad aggression issues since they all matured months ago, and some of the males are at least 2-1/2 inches. I think down the road I'll let the numbers drop and get other fish that are more visable and enjoyable in such a large tank. In all honesty I think people can best enjoy having rams in smaller tanks that the rams are more visable in.

Back
Top Bottom