German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerseyGirl1385

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to get 4 GBR!!!!
What's everyone's opinion on them? I've been dying to get a few.

They're going in a 30 gallon :)

Do you guys have any pics you can post up really quick? They're a surprise for my fiancé. She's jealous of my angel tank.

Awesome fish plenty of character esp when paired up - though very sensitive, pH around 6 suits them better and very good water quality needed from my experience (in UK)

I thought about getting some of these for my rather dull 55g. Are they better off in pairs and how are they in a community? Any other info would be nice too :)

One is ok but pairs is better you really get to see how they interact. They are rather shy and not too aggressive unless breeding. Then they can be really temperamental with due reason. I keep my pair with a large school of micro tetras, shrimp, snails, and even a dwarf crayfish and they all get along great.

One is ok but pairs is better you really get to see how they interact. They are rather shy and not too aggressive unless breeding. Then they can be really temperamental with due reason. I keep my pair with a large school of micro tetras, shrimp, snails, and even a dwarf crayfish and they all get along great.

If i get two, would it have to be male and female or is same sex fine?

Male and female preferred but if you go the same sex route I would suggest females to reduce aggression. They aren't the best of parents so the fry rarely make it unless removed and cared for separately although successive spawns should brood better patenting skills.

Sheltie said:
I thought about getting some of these for my rather dull 55g. Are they better off in pairs and how are they in a community? Any other info would be nice too :)

I've got 1 gbr, 1 golden ram ram, and 1 bolivian ram in my community tank.

Whelp.... 24 hours I'm down a GBR.

Came home last night @8pm and immediately began temp/drip acclimating until 9:15.
Turned lights completely out until noon today to try to lessen stress.
One little guy just wasn't acting right.. He was hiding and really not moving too much.
Fed at noon- and my angel fish were on top of eating, as well as 3 of the GBR.

WC was done yesterday at 3pm
pH 7.6
A 0
N2 0
N3 5ppm

Came home tonight at 8:30 to find little buddy at the bottom :-(

Checked water again-
pH 7.6
A 0
N2 0
N3 20ppm
Did a 15 gallon wc and everything is back to normal.

I don't know what happened!!!!!!!!!
I'm so upset.

Yep sounds to me like you just got a sick one to begine with. Tank parameters were all fine so don't let that one fish get the best of you

JerseyGirl1385 said:
Whelp.... 24 hours I'm down a GBR.

Came home last night @8pm and immediately began temp/drip acclimating until 9:15.
Turned lights completely out until noon today to try to lessen stress.
One little guy just wasn't acting right.. He was hiding and really not moving too much.
Fed at noon- and my angel fish were on top of eating, as well as 3 of the GBR.

WC was done yesterday at 3pm
pH 7.6
A 0
N2 0
N3 5ppm

Came home tonight at 8:30 to find little buddy at the bottom :-(

Checked water again-
pH 7.6
A 0
N2 0
N3 20ppm
Did a 15 gallon wc and everything is back to normal.

I don't know what happened!!!!!!!!!
I'm so upset.

:( I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tested your gh and kh? They are very sensitive to the hardness of the water as well. Another possible cause is the ph. Usually people recommend a ph of 6.5 for GBRs.

:( Have you tested your gh and kh? They are very sensitive to the hardness of the water as well. Another possible cause is the ph. Usually people recommend a ph of 6.5 for GBRs.

Most GBR's nowadays are tank bred/raised and are used to higher Ph/Kh/Gh. Now if they are wild caught those water readings have to be low because that is what they are used to in the wild. The important thing with GBR's is to keep nitrate levels down, they are very sensitive to that.

Most GBR's nowadays are tank bred/raised and are used to higher Ph/Kh/Gh. Now if they are wild caught those water readings have to be low because that is what they are used to in the wild. The important thing with GBR's is to keep nitrate levels down, they are very sensitive to that.

I meant that when acclimating to a different GH and KH, it is important to go slowly. Too big of a change too fast is usually what causes them to die. Another factor is quality of stock. Many GBRs are just not very healthy and may have poor genetics.

Back
Top Bottom