German Gold Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickcmanning

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know about the temperament of German Gold Ram cichlids with the other ram species. I never saw them in a store until today and they are gorgeous little fish. I already have a Bolivian and a German blue in two separate tanks and I was wondering if a German Gold would get along with either of them because I would love to have one. :angel:

They would get along fine. The German gold is just another color of the Ramirez line for ram cichlids. But they are absolutely gorgeous. Are u trying to breed with your cichlids?

Like other rams they can't be kept with other species of dwarf cichlids.

I would love to breed the rams, I have taken on quite the soft spot for them. They are really attractive looking fish. I just don't know if they actually would breed. I heard it is not easy to get rams to pair up unless they grow up together and get to make their own choice out of a group.

i have a german gold ram (male) and a metallic german blue ram (female) together in a 20 gallon, along with corys, rasboras and guppys and they are probably the most peaceful out of them all.

Based on what you guys have given me for input, I think I will splurge and buy a new new German Gold. I have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon. I know it would be best to put two rams in a 20 gallon but for the start until he gets bigger, do you all think it would be wise of me to put a new small gold ram in the 10 gallon with my young german blue or do you think I would be okay to add in a new Baby German Gold into my 20 gallon with my almost full sized bolivian ram?

Like other rams they can't be kept with other species of dwarf cichlids.

Totally disagree if the tank is large enough. All they need are plenty of hiding spots.

Also, just to clarify, the gold and blue rams are the same species, Microgeophagus ramirezi. The Bolivians are in the same genus but different species- altispinosa. There is no reason these fish couldn't be kept together given adequate space and territory.

I think the best idea would be to add the small gold with the small blue in your 10 gallon. Use that tank to grow them out for a bit, then add them to your 20 gallon. It will be a little crowded, but should work out.

Blue/gold rams are actually pretty easy to breed, it's raising the fry that is the difficult part. They're most often terrible parents and you'll have to pull the wigglers and raise them yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom