Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

German Rams

Hi,I have a problem with keeping German Rams. I bought 6 very small German rams 10-2021. After 2 weeks I was down to 5,1 week after 4. Than after a month 3 now 2. 1-2022. I watch them eat. They do look very healthy. I never see the bodies of the dead just not there anymore. The tank member are 3 Rainbows,3 plecos and 2 kulfi loaches. All are doing fine. Water changes every 7-10 days, heavy planted with two filters. This is a 40 gal tank. Temp 78f. All water parameters are very good. I have tried large rams and they last a month or so. So when I bought these small ones I thought for sure they would live. I didn't buy them from a store I bought them from a breeder from around my area. I don't get it. thanks

Old 01-23-2022, 11:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

I would say german rams like the water hot. Like 28c/83f. Ive tried to keep them in community tanks at temps like yours, but they seem to be very susceptible to health issues at lower temps. I have 1 left from my attempts who must be especially hardy and i wont try it again.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Aiken. The temps that is required for them are too warm for the other in the tank. You are correct. Probably better to have a dedicated tank for them.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Keep them with something that likes the water a little hotter. Rummynose tetras for example.

Tags
german ram, ram, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com