Get rid of tank or put it in very sunny location?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Move Tank into Sun or Just Get Rid of It?

• Move it next to the windows into direct sunlight

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Get rid of it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JPA

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 75 Gallon freshwater tank. It needs to be moved from where it currently sits (there is no avoiding this).

I can either move the tank next to a large wall of windows (which will and cannot be covered) where it will get a lot of direct sunlight, or just get rid of the tank entirely.

I know direct sunlight can cause a ton of problems with algae, etc. But in your opinion, is it worth it? Can the algae be managed? Or should I throw in the towel?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

place a background piece where it will receive the most amount of sunlight.

Consider getting a CO2 system and plant the tank densely to help control algae.

place a background piece where it will receive the most amount of sunlight.

Consider getting a CO2 system and plant the tank densely to help control algae.

Could some liquid CO2 equivalent work?

It is the front of the tank that will be getting the most light, so can't cover it up.

Could some liquid CO2 equivalent work?

It is the front of the tank that will be getting the most light, so can't cover it up.

Liquid CO2 is pressurized CO2, no such thing as CO2 replacement.

Plants require Carbon Dioxide for their carbon.

Excel / Met14 can help yes, not as good as CO2, but better than nothing.

Hello JPA...

Sounds to me like you could rid yourself of the tank and not be too concerned. If there's the slightest doubt about keeping the tank, then I'd opt for selling it. If you're not 100 percent committed to keeping it, then don't.

B

Hello JPA...

Sounds to me like you could rid yourself of the tank and not be too concerned. If there's the slightest doubt about keeping the tank, then I'd opt for selling it. If you're not 100 percent committed to keeping it, then don't.

B

I understand your point, but it is not that black or white. I want to keep it but I also don't want my fish to suffer if the sunlight is going to have negative effects on the tank.

I understand your point, but it is not that black or white. I want to keep it but I also don't want my fish to suffer if the sunlight is going to have negative effects on the tank.

The fish will likely be happier with lots of natural light and algae....

Reactions: JPA
Agreed lol; fish are probably happiest in a pond and when was the last time you saw one without a ton of algae. Not wanting to have a bunch of algae is mostly for our enjoyment

In that size tank you could have a decent school of otos as well. They’d also love the extra algae growth.

Fish develop much more color and vigor with some sunlight. Keep up with good sized water changes.

Obviously the sun moves position all year long...how often is the sun directly shining through?

At my house I see some brighter sunlight coming through in fall/winter as trees leaves block some of the sunlight in other times of the year. I do not have an issue with the algae. I will see more of it than usual but the fish and shrimp do some work and then it kind of lessens and disappears when it gets more shade.

Also have used contact paper /film, in other times of tank keeping.

You could even put film on only the back of the sides leaving the sides still with vertical viewing from the front and front side. Or block only one side.

UV 3M type film on the big house windows???

At the end of the day, trying the tank in the new location might work out and might not.

But if you like the tank enough to consider some creative options, trying it makes sense.

Does the sun come straight through the front of the tank?

So I moved the tank on Saturday. It was quite a production. I'm glad I did it, though. We will see how the sun impacts it. Thanks everyone for your advice and ideas.

Back
Top Bottom