Getting a 70 gallon corner tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting a 70 gallon corner tank and wonder what are some cool freshwater fish I can stock it with? And is 100$ a good deal? It was just the tank and a stand?

I'm getting a 70 gallon corner tank and wonder what are some cool freshwater fish I can stock it with? And is 100$ a good deal? It was just the tank and a stand?

Hard to say if it is a good deal or not without seeing it. If it is in good condition and clean and the stand is is good shape then it sounds like a good deal. You say it is a corner tank so that lends me to believe it has more depth than area so you will not be able to stock it as a typical "long" 70 gallon, but you could still stock it with some nice fish. I am just giving some recommendations based on what I have. I like guppies (I have all males to prevent breeding) neon tetras, dwarf gourami, and you could look into certain loaches whether they would work in your tank as most loaches need to be in groups of three or more.

go to aqadvisor.com to get an idea of what you can stock. You can put in your tank dimensions, then you can propose type and quantity of fish and it will give you a rough guide as to whether it will work or not.

And would I be able to sell one of my 55s and just put my koi in there while they wait for a pond? Or since its a corner is it not that much more room?

I believe Koi would not be good in an aquarium for very long. Especially multuple koi. They are really messy and would spike ammonia trite and trate pretty quickly. Someone else could chime in that knows more, but if you do keep Koi in your tank i would think it would need multiple water changes weekly. Like three 50% water changes a week.

70 Gallon is big, but koi needs much more space due to how big they get.

Am I wrong about that folks?

With as small as your koi are right now they could go in it temporarily but not long term. Just be sure to put a good canister filter on the tank. When we had some fingerling koi in the 220g I ran 2 Fluval FX5 canisters to keep the water clean.

It would be a month at most and of I don't have a pond by then ill sell them because I don't want to stunt them really bad.

It takes more than a month to stunt them at that size so you should be fine. I've kept small koi inside due to winter temps vs their size for up to 6 months without issue. The one thing about koi is get them a good koi growth food and feed them alittle 2-3x daily in a tank and trust me you won't stunt them nor will they shoot up so big they would outgrow the tank in that amount of time.

Alright then Ill just upgrade there tank! Do they do better in corner tanks or long tanks?

There is no reason to scrape it. Your not going to keep them in there permenantly.

That's true what is a good stock for a corner tank when the koi leave? fancy goldfish or something?

You could do a few fancies or any type of community tank. You have alot of options.

Back
Top Bottom