Getting a new 240g, need lighting advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam180

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all. I'm currently running a 75g freshwater with an integrated LED fixture. I will be upgrading to a 240g (standard 8x2x2 size) and I don't have much experience with lighting. A friend of mine recommended getting two 4ft fluorescent fixtures with either 1 or 2 sockets each and adding a "zoomed" LED fixture to them. I would appreciate any additional recommendations. I am trying to keep it fairly economical if possible. As it will be freshwater, I don't need expensive reef bulbs. Thanks in advance.

I have the exact same size tank. I have 2 48" 4 bulb t5 light fixtures I picked up from a hydroponics store. $120.00 each included 6400k cfls. Also they are 54 watt ho fixtures. Approximately 40,000 lumens total. It would cost me almost twice as much to build from parts from Home Depot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the exact same size tank. I have 2 48" 4 bulb t5 light fixtures I picked up from a hydroponics store. $120.00 each included 6400k cfls. Also they are 54 watt ho fixtures. Approximately 40,000 lumens total. It would cost me almost twice as much to build from parts from Home Depot.

Are there good fixtures that will rest on top of the tank or will I need to be hanging them from the ceiling?

They do look like shop lights. Powder coated white with reflectors for each bulb. You could easily build feed to sit on top of the tank. Mine hang from the top of my canopy about 8" from the top of the tank

Planted tank no co2. I have about 200lbs of Eco complete with about 60 lbs of Aztec brown gravel for a more natural riverbed look and to save a little money on Eco complete. I just had to cut my lights back to about 5 hrs due to algae issues I

My tank has only been cycled for about a month now so now I get to deal with all the new tank issues until it settles down

Back
Top Bottom