Getting a new 240g, needing heater advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam180

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, I'm getting a 240g freshwater aquarium soon and am wondering which heater(s) to get. Currently I'm looking at getting 2 of Marineland's 400 watt heaters, but the reviews have been mixed. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

I got the 300 watt natgeo one from petsmart on black friday and its pretty good. It runes like 2 degrees hot but its whatever for $20.

I got the 300 watt natgeo one from petsmart on black friday and its pretty good. It runes like 2 degrees hot but its whatever for $20.

Yeah, that definitely appears to be a better option. Here I was about to spend twice that for 2 heaters that are higher wattage and lower capacity. Thanks for the heads up!

If money isn't a deciding factor I would go with the finnex that coralbandit posted. I love them.

img_3323992_0_5b5aeb4fdf8bb281f5024627d52d33fc.jpg

img_3323992_1_fbacc877adb9e110f29d281f14a52467.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I went ahead and picked up the National Geographic 300W. Hopefully it's able to handle 240g by itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi Sam,
In a 240g I would use two heaters, firstly to give a better spread of heat and secondly In case one packs up then the other will cope in the short term. I don't think a single 300w is enough for your tank unless your room temp is at a constant warm temperature.
My Fluval 300w heaters are recommended for approx 375l/100g tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How much do you need to heat the tank above room temperature? That's the deciding factor for how much heating you need.

Not all heaters are created equal...
Nat Geo is a rebranded Ehiem...

My Aqueon Pro user guide says 250 watts can raise a 90g tank 15 degrees above room temp.(68-72 f room temp).
So depending on room temp and actual performance of heater 1 @ 300 watts is cutting it close IMO....
I have 2 @ 250 in my 180s sump...

How much do you need to heat the tank above room temperature? That's the deciding factor for how much heating you need.

Well I keep my house around 70° in the winter and try and keep my tanks around 78-80°. So should I just get a second NatGeo 300w or return it and go for two of a different brand/model?

Btw, nice to see a fellow loach lover. Easily my favorite freshwater fish. I have 8 polka dots and 5 kuhlis so far in my 75g. I'll be adding at least 10 clowns for my new 240 once it's up and running.

What are you stocking in this mammoth of a tank? Just curious..

It will be freshwater community. Primarily I want clown loaches but I will also be looking to get a black ghost knife, 1-2 more pairs of angels (have one pair now that are about 6" top to bottom fin), increasing my group of 5 kuhlis to 10+, maybe a red tailed shark and/or a pair of bala sharks. Not sure about the last two as they can be semi-aggressive from what I've heard. Would also like a group of pictus cats. After that, who knows.

Bala sharks would outgrow a 240, sure you aren't thinking of iridescent sharks?

Honestly I would go for two of a better brand. I like jager heaters from eheim.

Woo! Clown loaches in a properly huge tank! I'm excited to see that big school :D I have 5 kuhlis and 5 polkadots myself, plus 5 yoyos, 5 zebras and a rare aborichthys loach :D

Bala sharks would outgrow a 240, sure you aren't thinking of iridescent sharks?

Honestly I would go for two of a better brand. I like jager heaters from eheim.

Woo! Clown loaches in a properly huge tank! I'm excited to see that big school :D I have 5 kuhlis and 5 polkadots myself, plus 5 yoyos, 5 zebras and a rare aborichthys loach :D

Yeah, the clowns and the ghost knife are the main reasons I'm upgrading to this big of a tank. If I had known 18 months ago when I bought my 75 that I would be upgrading to this 240, I would have bought the clowns then and just moved them. As far as the Balas, they top out at 1'2" (about the same as clown loaches) according to Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Bala Shark ...and even then I imagine it would take a lot of years for them to reach that size. My LFS sells them around the 3-5 inch size. I also have a common plecostomus and a mix of several Australian and Madagascan Rainbowfish.

Ah OK, shark names get confusing... Up here they sell pangasius catfish as bala sharks and those get several feet long.

Okay. So I'll be returning the NatGeo 300w and going with dual Eheim 300w's. Surely that would be enough heating lol.

If the Nat Geo has good reviews just get another(they ARE eheim)....
Sini pangasius is an irredescent shark.
Balas are the silver /black that really are shaped like a shark..
Bala shark Pictures

On a side note and not to sound 'snobby' but honestly more concerned;
I kind of can't believe we are 'bargain shopping' equipment for a 240g!!!

1 faulty heater is all it takes to wipe out a whole tank....:facepalm::whistle:

Good luck!
And I have 11 clown loaches in my 180!!!
Glad to see another member doing the best they can for a great fish!
One of my all time favs!!
Mine are 10-15 years old!
99907-albums14345-picture69024.jpg

I personally like my nat geo. Temp has been swinging pretty wildly outside and inside a bit and the nat geo keeps it within 1 degrees pretty much always.

On the double heater note definitely get two for a tank that big, i had one poop the bed on my 30gal the other day and lost about half of the stock. I think i might try that Aqueon pro you posted earlier coral. Question about that though, you mentioned a warranty i think, how does that work. Through website or company?

Too OP, for the price i think 2 of these would be the best bet, Thanks to coral for posting ill be using one in my 75+ tank i plan on getting, possibly 2. Its always kind of a pain in the arse having to reach in and change the temp on a heater for any reason.
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-heaters/finnex-500-watt-heater-controler.html

Back
Top Bottom