Getting a New Big tank :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dertyharry420

Aquarium Advice Regular
im going to be getting my hands on something around 100gallon long tank... and i was going to put it in my living room and build/maintain it for my parents...so i was wondering on the setup i should go with... its going to prolly be a planted FW tank cause Sw will be too much...im thinking something like eco-complete black sand or gravel im not sure which one prolly sand...and for filtration thats what i was wondering about im thinkin something like 2 emperor 400's and thats it..? or should i add a power head also..? ill be getting a pc fixture just not sure how big and what type and also co2 again im not sure on that setup yet either..i want the tank to be kinda murky and nice and cave like...with some driftwood..let me know on some suggestions thanks !

I wouldn't use HOB's on a 100gallon tank. I'd go with a canister filter...maybe a Rena Filstar Xp1 at either end of of the tank.
For CO2, you'll absolutely have to go pressurized.

I assume you're going with at least 2watts per gallon of PC lighting?

Do a DIY hood, with a light kit from ah supply or hellolights. Good project for you and your dad. Fishfreek posted a DIY hood plan somewhere on this site. I used his plans (except more expensive wood) love my hood! Several light kits to choose from, depends on goal and $$.
Big piece of driftwood. Possibly collect and cure it yourself. I find that sort of thing fun!
Eco-Complete substrate (works better for plants than sand)
Pressurized CO2 system.
Either 2 Rena filters like Malkore said, or 1 bigger one, plus a couple powerheads for deepwater circulation, that's what I have on my 90. 1 big Eheim filter and 2 powerheads placed deep underwater, semi-hiddeen by rocks and wood.

You have a lot of research work in front of you. Make a solid plan including hardware, construction, substrate, decorations, plants and fish. Most importantly, COSTS!

Seriously, try to include your parents in all stages, and work With them on some or all of it.

Reasons: 1) their living room, you need their OK for the final product! 2) Unless you have a job, it's their money, this will cost some $$$, depending on what you want, what $$ is available. 3) I'm guessing you are in your teens. Involve the folks, it will make them feel good, and you all may learn a bit more about each other. Sorry if that last bit sounded preachy, but I wish me and my dad got along better back in those days. I also think showing good responsibility in your teens (such as planning and following through on a big project like this) earns you really good points with your folks. Good points = more trust and privileges!

I can't contribute anything that someone else hasn't stated already. But I am a big BIG advocate of Eco-complete. If you want to buy some, Big Al's online is the place. For $15.99/20lbs +$6.00 shipping/bag, I can say with great confidence that it will save you some serious cash as opposed to buying it elsewhere. For a tank that size, you'll need every penny.

100 gal is a GINORMOUS tank. Good luck with it.

thanks for the info and im 18 and im going to be doing everything ( maintaining , seting-up , everything!) so your saying dont even do hob filters huh....hmmm imll be stepping in new territory now :D fun fun ...yeah i was prolly gonna get eco-complete... and im not that much of a diy person but looks like I have no choice lol ....i love fish now its funny its all started when my gf got me a bowl with 2 fish and i felt bad for them so i went out to wal-mart and bought a eclipse 6 gallon curved and then i bought a ten gallon now im going to 100.....wow big step up thats all and ive been putting in sooo much $$ into fish lately jesus !!! i just bought a $80 light with accesories for my 10 gallon lol its all fun though im loving it

i'm thinking about setting up a 100 gallon myself. I have a 10 gallon right now and just last week, I spent 100 dollars for a pc fixture from ahsupply. I can't stop buying things for the aquarium. Good luck with the project, update us on your progresses.

I agree with corvuscorax and malkore...canister filter is definitely the way to go! I have heard so many differing stories about which is best, but the Fluval or Rena would be a good choice. If you're not much of a DIY person then building your own hood would be a great way to get into it...

Just to give you some idea of the cost you're looking at dertyharry, here's what I spent on my 125gallon.

1. Eco-complete $240
2. (2) Cannister filters $180
3. 330w AHsup light kit $340
4. Pressurized CO2 sys $378
total $1138

That doesn't include heaters, ornaments, or plants. That's a huge expense for an 18 year old. I'd suggest you start with a low light tank. There are plenty of plants that will thrive and still give you an awesome looking tank.
:wink: JMO

The average high-light planted tank runs between $10-$20 per gallon to setup, not including any plants or fish.
My 75gallon was close to $1,000 to setup. It was $508 for the tank, stand, glass tops, 4 bags of Flourite, a 150w heater and Rena Filstar XP2 (and a couple pieces of driftwood). Another $200 for lighting and building a canopy, another $250 for all the parts to the CO2 setup including the reactor. Then another $60 on more flourite.

The only thing more expensive is setting up a saltwater tank with live rock, high lighting, and corals, which runs closer to $30 per gallon...or more.

Back
Top Bottom