Getting a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpellEcho

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I currently have a 15gal tank and I am looking for a 10gal or larger because my platies keep having babies and I'd love to keep them. I was just wondering when I cycle my new tank can I take half the old fish tank water then fill the rest up with treated tap water for the rest and cut my used sponge filter in half and put that in? Would it be cycled right away or would I have to wait and for how long?

You could use Seachem Stability,

Basically bacteria in a bottle. The bacteria is temporary and will die off eventually but it will help new bacteria grow.

Don't cut the sponge in half, just put the filter on your old tank next to the one that is always running and let it run for a few days before you put your water in the new tank.

Don't cut the sponge in half, just put the filter on your old tank next to the one that is always running and let it run for a few days before you put your water in the new tank.

Unfortunatly afew days wouldnt be long enough to cycle the filter but cutting the sponge is definitely an option.

Unfortunatly afew days wouldnt be long enough to cycle the filter but cutting the sponge is definitely an option.

Yeah I didnt think so, it would speed up the process though using the half sponge?

Well yes if youre using half a cycled sponge it would probably only be a mini cycle at most.

Back
Top Bottom