Getting back into the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
A year ago I got my first tank. A 10g which I stocked with 6 zebra danios and 3 bronze cories. I felt so proud of myself after I finished cycling the tank :D . As of today there are 4 danios and 2 cories. I haven't been on AA for a while and I started doing WCs every 2 to 3 instead of every 1 to 2 weeks and kind of let my tank grow a lot of algae on it. And having an aquarium just wasn't what it used to be. Although now something has sparked the aquarium fire (if you will) inside me and I want to "get back into it". I need some help what to do. I'd really like to get a bigger tank such as a 20g or 30g and sell the plants, fish, gravel of the 10g and use it as a QT/hospital tank or, keep the 10g and get another 10g. I like south american fish and bala sharks. I don't know what to do so suggestions and help is welcome.

"Hi Todd I'm stereo mike" (any bran-van 3000 fans in the house?)

The algea growth is probably from a bit too much food.. Snails like food to! If you have lots of snails that might be a second indicator of surplus food..

I am not suggesting you are feeding to much just that there is plenty of nutrents present in your tank.

I would keep the 10 as a QT tank during your upgrade. I would be tempted to keep it as it and use the filter media to help cycle your new tank.

moooooooose

Todd2, I would get the biggest tank I could and use the 10gal. for QT. You can do so much more with a larger tank. One good way to control the algae is to maintain a 25% weekly pwc and gravel vacuuming regimen. It's actually the nitrates and phosphates that feed the algae and the pwc will keep the water fresh. I agree that you should use some of the filter media from the 10 to cycle the next tank.

Back
Top Bottom