Getting fustrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have these koi that I will build a pond for when it gets warm. (Minnesota weather has been crazy snowing one 85 the next) so I'm waiting for consistent warmth but anyways the tank is 55 gallons with 4 medium sized koi( overstocked yes I know). It had a bad algae problem so I added a small leopard sailfin pleco about1 and a half inch. My koi keep going after it! They kill everything I try to put in there unless its a koi! I want this pleco so is there anyway I can stop aggression for a few months at most ( I will not put it in my other 55 due to 2 bristlenose plecos already in there) but I do have 10 gallon but I think that's too small. So anyway I can stop aggression for a Bit? If not I will sell they koi and give up my dream of a koi pond. Sorry for the long postdde2c

The pleco needs to be moved as there isn't anything that can be done to prevent the koi from abusing or killing it. I don't know if a 10g is suitable or not, but I don't see another option at the moment for the pleco if you would like to keep him.

If you think youll have your pond dug out and ready in a few months, I would think the pleco would be ok in the 10 gallon for that amount of time. Correct me if im wrong. But if it is only 1 1/2 inches, I think itll be fine. They have a slow growth rate from my experience.

If your dream is to have a koi pond and your planning on doing it in a few months, id do that. If you end up not being able to dig the pond, then make the decision to sell the koi as a 55 is not suitable for long term, then the pleco can go in the 55.

You won't stunt him, don't worry. I've had my plecos from about 1inch for 3 months and they are only just pushing 2 inches. They grow slow. You have some time on your side.

I don't want t stunt the pleco though..

Your not going to stunt the Pleco if its only in there for a couple months. U said u ever digging a pond and that it was your dream so we are trying to keep your dream alive. Like I said plecos growth cycle is pretty slow. We wouldn't suggest hurting the fish.

Alright and of it exceeds 4" I'll move it to my other 55 then my bristlenose won't harm it because of same size right?

It he pleco the same size as my clown and my clown plec got bullied to death. And the bristlenoses are about 3" and 5".

Well then you must have a real aggressive Pleco, unless other fish in the tank are bullying him. If its the koi, it is probably because of the small space given to them as they are normally not aggressive fish.

If your other Pleco is that aggressive I wouldn't have boughten another Pleco to add with it. Since you will need to put him in the bigger tank eventually, with the other aggressive Pleco, I change my opinion and suggest rehoming him now then.

Well then you must have a real aggressive Pleco, unless other fish in the tank are bullying him. If its the koi, it is probably because of the small space given to them as they are normally not aggressive fish.

If your other Pleco is that aggressive I wouldn't have boughten another Pleco to add with it. Since you will need to put him in the bigger tank eventually, with the other aggressive Pleco, I change my opinion and suggest rehoming him now then.

I have two 55 gallon tanks one with the two bristlenoses and one with the koi. I'm pretty sure my male bristlenose is killed the clown pleco in that tank because when I found it dead the male was right next to it and the clowns fin was all red. The leopard sailfin is the one in the koi tank probably going to the ten gallon unless I sell my koi. So these plecos are in two separate tanks at the moment.

I have two 55 gallon tanks one with the two bristlenoses and one with the koi. I'm pretty sure my male bristlenose is killed the clown pleco in that tank because when I found it dead the male was right next to it and the clowns fin was all red. The leopard sailfin is the one in the koi tank probably going to the ten gallon unless I sell my koi. So these plecos are in two separate tanks at the moment.

Ok I'm just saying if your Pleco in the 55 is that aggressive the other Pleco (once it grows) might not fair well if you plan on putting it in the 55. Unless you plan on getting another bigger tank or rehoming it once it gets too big.

Ok I'm just saying if your Pleco in the 55 is that aggressive the other Pleco (once it grows) might not fair well if you plan on putting it in the 55. Unless you plan on getting another bigger tank or rehoming it once it gets too big.

Ok my initial plan was when koi get their pond the sailfin will stay in that tank and the bristlenose pair in the other.

Ok my initial plan was when koi get their pond the sailfin will stay in that tank and the bristlenose pair in the other.

Ok ... Am I confused or not remembering correctly? U have a 10 gallon and a 55 right? None of those plecos stay small enough for a 10 gallon... Correct me if I'm wrong I'm just trying to help :)

No no no haha I have 2 55 gallons and one 10 gallon my breeding pair of bristlenoses are in one 55 gallon and my leopard sailfin is in the other.

I really don't believe it was the BN that killed the clown. Especially in a tank of that size.
Can you put a pipe of some sort in the koi tank as a refuge for the the leopard?
Otherwise he will be okay with the BN. So long as everybody has their own little hidey hole to retreat to they should be fine. It's the leopard that will become aggressive to other plecos as he matures.
Just remember to acclimate him and check that the ph is not drastically different between the two tanks.
If the 10g is fully cycled then that is a perfectly acceptable option also.
Whichever tank he's in, be sure to give him his own piece of wood.
And don't sell your Koi! :)

Back
Top Bottom