Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2021, 01:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Getting Levels down after a period of neglect

I'm a bit nervous putting this out on the internet to be judged, I've got issues that make it extremely difficult for me to push myself to do water changes every week, but this isn't an excuse. I have these animals, and I really need to push myself going forward or I need to get rid of them. So I'm going to try pushing myself, the last thing I want is my pets that I love to die.

So here's the deal. I've not been doing weekly water changes, they've been getting done every 3-4 weeks and they have nitrate problems. There's no amonina or nitrite in either tank, just high nitrates. I've been trying to fix them but every time I test the water the nitrates are the same or only slightly lower, this is what I have and exactly what's going on:

---

55 gallon
1 angel
11 or 12 black skirts (I am aware they are nippy, they've not caused problems and if they ever do I have a store that will take them)
1 clown pleco

0 ppm amonina/nitrite
40+ ppm nitrate (I have trouble telling between 40/80, it's one of them)

10 gallon
1 betta

0 ppm ammonia/nitrite
40+ ppm nitrate (I have trouble telling between 40/80, it's one of them)

---

The 55 is my third tank ever and I'm really new to how to lower it safely and effectively. Would 50% weekly be enough to lower them, or should I do water changes every other day until they're normal? Would lowering it very fast hurt them? How often should you clean a filter and tubes to avoid it producing excess nitrates? Thank you.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't clean your filter, that is where your beneficial bacteria is, it's cause your cycle to crash and prob kill your fish. I'd do a weekly change of 25% to get the nitrates around 40ppm, then whatever is necessary to keep it there. Your tanks aren't that heavily stocked, a monthly change of 33% and gravel vacuum will prob be sufficient. But it'll be dictated by your water parameters, ie; nitrates

Old 01-17-2021, 08:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your filter doesn't produce nitrates in the sense you can clean it out. It produces nitrates as a byproduct of converting more deadly nitrites. If the bacteria, the brown slimy gunk, is cleaned out, then nothing is there to remove more deadly ammonia and nitrites
Old 01-17-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

And just fyi, 40-80 nitrates is not very high. Your just a little above optimal range. What type of filter do you have? A hang on the back?
Old 01-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good info given above.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwonder View Post
Good info given above.
Thanks amigo!

Tags
level, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com