Getting new kinds of fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonBlade123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking about getting a 55 gallon and maybe bigger. What kinds of fish should i get? Not too big and not too small. Btw I want to get FW fish not SW

get some tetras, catfish, mollies, but don;t get too many mollies cos it'll be too crowded.

I'd go for some cool lookin catfish. Itd be sweet to get a school of bala or rainbow sharks. I hear either get 1 shark or get at least 5 or 6 because if there are only about 2 or 3 then theyll fight often. Theyre semi-aggresive anyways so if you get any they shouldnt cause you too much trouble. I know bala sharks have a max size of about 14 in. and rainbow sharks get to 9 in. i am pretty sure. A school of tetras would be sweet, also

I think that half of the fun of owning an aquarium is the search for occupants. When I was setting up my 72 gal planted, I looked all over (about 15 different LFS) to decide what I wanted. My suggestion, make your tank originally yours and visit multiple LFS. Typically you will find 90% the same fish at each one (after all, they do typically shop at the same markets), but it's that 9% of different and 1% of unique fish that add to the fun.

I started by looking at fish in books, then going to the store to find them, but if the store didn't have them I'd get something else I liked. I'd just get a couple or a group of 4 or 6 each time, then wait and see how they settled in before going for something else. I had great fun choosing and I enjoy my tank a lot. Good luck - Have fun. :D

my favourite is the pearl gourami its neither small neither is it too big , it has a lot of character and is truely beautiful, you will need a male and female tho' so that the male has someone to display its lovely colours to. [the whole of its underside glows red when showing off]

We like the peace and tranquility of the tank - i don't like them chasing each other. Therefore we go for different coloured guppies - we have red, yellow, purple, green, blue and black. The range is amazing and 'cos they are small you can have plenty of them. And one betta and one long tailed algae eater.

Alternatively just go fo one huge oscar

be careful about tinfoilbarbs!!! they took over my tank and now I have only 2 of them.... and nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom