getting nitrates up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I have stated before I got a new 56 gal tall aquarium for Christmas. I took the contents of my 10 gallon (gravel plants fish and water) and added them to the 56 gallon. I then ran my old filter on my aquarium. My question is, I just tested the water and here are my readings:

PH = 7.6
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 5ppm

2 questions; First the PH is a little higher than it used to be. I have driftwood in the tank which came out of the old aquarium, so I dont' know if that will bring it down at all. i don't know if 7.6 is a problem, but I was at 7.0 - 7.2 previously. Should I worry about it, take corrective action, or allow the tank to level out if it even will?

Secondly, Nitrates are a bit low. Being that the bio load of the contents (in sig) is lower due to capacity of the tank I would assume. I am not seeing any spike in ammonia though, which leads me to believe that nitrates arn't going to build at all. Because of this, I am getting some algea growth. From what I have read, the low nitrates have caused to plants to slow growth, leading to an influx in phosphate causing alge growth. I don't have a phosphate test kit, so I don't know what the reading is. The alge now isn't out of control, but I am afraid that I won't get it under control if nitrates don't come up. What can I do to build my nitrates?

A larger bio-load will cause higher Nitrates. Also, with the current fish that you have, you will see Nitrates rise, depending on how often you do water changes. Since the tank is planted, I am curious as to why there is algae in the tank since the plants should be competing for the phosphates. What kind of algae is it? You can dose Nitrogen to increase the Nitrates (I used to do that in my Betta tank since the level was barely even measurable).

i read that if you run out of nitrates, the plants will stunt their growth, being that they arn't getting that particular nutrient. When this happens, an excess of phosphate is found in the tank which will feed algae. This H.O.T. Magnum Pro came with a large Bio-wheel.. however it is new and hasn't built up any bacteria yet. I am happy to know that will cause nitrates to raise. Shouldn't I see a small spike in ammonia though before I see it effect nitrates (which im not seeing)

A steady constant ph is better than trying to adjust the ph IMO. Your ph is fine, don't worry about it unless it suddenly jumps or decreases.
You almost never hear anyone complaining about low nitrates LOL.

HA!.. thanks for the move to planted forum. Well, maybe I am worrying too much about the low nitrates, but everytime I look into the tank and see the algae growth on the glass and all over some of my plants I freak. Im going to be going away for 3 days for the holidays so i think i might just attempt a black out, see if that helps. Im sure the plants are still in shock due to the move, so I don't think they will be effected much. Hopefully I can get the algae to die off, and the bio-wheel to start building some bacteria over the weekend

Low nitrates will cause a reduction in PO4 uptake (they are directly related though the rate of absorbtion is dependant on other factors; light co2 mg). An increase in PO4 WILL NOT cause algae. I CANNOT stress this enough. Algae is caused by limiting nutrients to plants, not by an excess. This is the whole basis of the E.I. principle.Adding KNO3 will bring your nitrates up as well as supply some needed potassium. Be aware that increasing K will most likely increase the need for PO4 as well. Limiting PO4 will cause green spot algae. If you don't want to by the KNO3 or PO4 from an on-line dealer such as greg watson, you can use stump remover (available in your local home depot) or the sort and Fleet enema will provide PO4 (available at your local pharmacy).

As for your PH; its fine. As stated above, a constant is better than a fluctuating one. Most fish can adapt but breeding may require more natural conditions.

Ok, I read that last post 3 times... and I think im pretty clear. An excess in phosphate will not cause the algae as I previously read before. You are stating that I NEED to add phosphate. You also said something about increasing K will most likely need to add PO4 as well. I guess what im saying is... what do I need to add, you kinda lost me.

its about nutrient balancing. you want 10ppm nitrate for every 1ppm phosphate (though you can tweak these a little to perfect it for your unique tank needs...10:1.5 might work better, or 20:1. In general don't exceed 2ppm of phosphate).

its still getting worse... algae is starting to go crazy, my micro sword is completely covered... will this eventually kill my plants?

Back
Top Bottom