Getting So Discouraged!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, So I finally opened up my Master Test Kit and tested both the 10 Gallon, which has been up and running since Jan 1st and the 45 gallon which I just started up on April 1st. Here were my results -

10 Gallon 45 Gallon

pH 8.0 8.2
Ammonia .25 .25
Nitrite 0 .50
Nitrate 10 10/20 (I couldn't really tell which)

Now up until this last water change I was using spring water to do my water changes in the 10 gallon and my readings were always really good... on the test strips anyways, although I thought my alkalinity was a little low... I'm really beginning to think that it is my tap water... regardless of whether I let it sit 24 hours and use the water conditioner it always messes up my levels!!! :( What should I do? I know the 45 gallon is still very early in the cycling stage, but the 10 gallon, after so long of being stable, now they are all blah! Is there anything else I can do to help my tap water? I didn't mind buying spring water for the 10 gallon, but not with the 45, it might get a LITTLE pricey!! lol :)

Have you tested your tap water?

The only thing off is your ammonia.

It could be that your ammonia is actually 0ppm. It's tough to decipher between 0 and .25 with the api test kit. If you have some distilled water or spring water, you can test that "0" and compare the colors from your tank "0.25"against the white Background under a light.

Nitrates are normal and removed with water changes.

+1 for testing your tap water. There is probably ammonia in it, or chloramine which breaks down into chlorine and ammonia. If it is in your tap water it's not a real big deal so long as you use Prime or some other conditioner that temporarily detoxifies the ammonia. My tap water usually ends up with 2ppm ammonia and 2ppm nitrite, really yucky stuff.

Do you have access to a well (like for a sprinkler system or something)? Well water should have no ammonia or nitrite but will, most likely, have nitrate. If you do, so long as it doesn't smell of sulfur and turn your sidewalks red with iron, you can probably use it. Test it and test the pH after it has set out overnight, also test it hardness.

I have tested the tap water before but not with the api test kit! I know with the strips everything but the nitrites and nitrates were off the scale! That was after letting it sit over night... I have used Prime with my water changes and when I ran out the lady at petsmart recommended api quick start and api stress coat... She also said the api quick start would help my new tank cycle quicker!

I am not an expert on this but I've been told and have read that Prime can give false positive ammonia results. Do a google search and look up False positive test results using Prime and API test kits.

I would test your tap water in a couple different scenarios. Test it first right out of the tap. Then let the water sit over night and test it again. Your results will be drastically different I bet.

Your ammonia and nitrites should be kept below .25ppm if at all possible. Let your test kit be your guide as far as how big/many water changes you need to do.

Mommaof4boys said:
I have tested the tap water before but not with the api test kit! I know with the strips everything but the nitrites and nitrates were off the scale! That was after letting it sit over night... I have used Prime with my water changes and when I ran out the lady at petsmart recommended api quick start and api stress coat... She also said the api quick start would help my new tank cycle quicker!

As you may know, the strips are fairly inaccurate. Test it again with your kit and let us know the results. Also test your tanks again to see if the ammonia is gone please.

The "quick start" stuff can actually be harmful to your cycle progress. Most of that stuff is just "snake oil" that, if it has any live bacteria in it at all after sitting on the shelf for who knows how long, probably has the wrong kind of bacteria in it and just takes away the food needed by the correct types of bacteria you are trying to foster and then dies off.

In the long run Prime will save you money. The bottles may be a tad bit more expensive then other stuff but you use less of it. It is well worth it to buy the large bottles of it from an online store. If I recall correctly you can get the 500ml bottles from most places for about 7$.

Okay, So I finally opened up my Master Test Kit and tested both the 10 Gallon, which has been up and running since Jan 1st and the 45 gallon which I just started up on April 1st. Here were my results -

10 Gallon 45 Gallon

pH 8.0 8.2
Ammonia .25 .25
Nitrite 0 .50
Nitrate 10 10/20 (I couldn't really tell which)

Now up until this last water change I was using spring water to do my water changes in the 10 gallon and my readings were always really good... on the test strips anyways, although I thought my alkalinity was a little low... I'm really beginning to think that it is my tap water... regardless of whether I let it sit 24 hours and use the water conditioner it always messes up my levels!!! :( What should I do? I know the 45 gallon is still very early in the cycling stage, but the 10 gallon, after so long of being stable, now they are all blah! Is there anything else I can do to help my tap water? I didn't mind buying spring water for the 10 gallon, but not with the 45, it might get a LITTLE pricey!! lol :)

When was your last water change? I would be doing one now also you can look into getting a ro/di system aswell P U R E W A T E R C L U B kind of pricey but will save money and time in the long run. What it pretty much does is make your water spring water

Okay, so I tested my tap water right out of the faucet and again with Prime added and sat for about an hour! My regular tap read : pH- 8.0, Ammonia- .50, Nitrite and Nitrate both 0. The tap with Prime read: pH- 7.4, Ammonia- .5, Nitrite and Nitrate both 0. I havenot done a water change yet, wanted to show these results first and see if I should use the tap or get spring water... so I'm sure the results in the tanks are the same as I posted yesterday!

Test a cup of water that is let to sit out overnight. An hour is not long enough for everything to degas, IMO. I'm betting you will be fine with straight tap water.

Mommaof4boys said:
Okay, so I tested my tap water right out of the faucet and again with Prime added and sat for about an hour! My regular tap read : pH- 8.0, Ammonia- .50, Nitrite and Nitrate both 0. The tap with Prime read: pH- 7.4, Ammonia- .5, Nitrite and Nitrate both 0. I havenot done a water change yet, wanted to show these results first and see if I should use the tap or get spring water... so I'm sure the results in the tanks are the same as I posted yesterday!

Egads! I wish I had your tap water. Zero nitrite and nitrate, nice! Your tap water is fine to use, just make sure to use a conditioner that can temporarily detoxify the ammonia (Prime does this). Your biological filter will eat through the ammonia before it becomes toxic again (in a properly cycled tank).
The only thing that will change by letting it sit overnight will be the pH, ammonia does not gas off. It is good to know what your true pH will be but it is not terribly important.

Mommaof4boys said:
My ammonia was .50 in my tap with and without Prime, and that's ok?

Yeah, will be fine. Remember, Prime does not REMOVE ammonia (nothing short of major filtering will) it only temporarily converts it to a less toxic form. Your bio filter should be able to handle it before it converts back into the more toxic form. If your bio filter doesn't convert it overnight then it will catch up in a week or two as the bio filter grows from the tiny bit of extra added ammonia from the tap water.

Okay, So I let the water sit out all night and tested them both again today... I find the readings.... weird.. LOL

Tap water left out overnight read pH 8.2, Ammonia .50, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 0-5.0
Tap w/Prime left out overnight read pH 7.4, Ammonia .50, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 0-5.0 So my Nitrates went up overnight?? I just found it weird...

So I need to do a water change.. do I use the tap water or spring water? I used tap water last time and the 10 gallon still has a butt load of what I am assuming is little bubbles in the water... it's kinda hazy but it's like little particles floating around in the water... when I used the spring water it was crystal clear... What would that be from?

Frustration!!!!!

So, I done a pwc last night... checked it.. an in my 10 gal. its 8.2 pH, .25 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 40 (could be 80) Nitrates! In the 44 its all the same except the Nitrates are 5.0 maybe 10! I'm having the exact same problem as I was when I first started the 10 gal before using the spring water! Grrr! It is so frustrating!

How long have the tanks been set up? Were they fully cycled? Did you recently change a large amount of filter media? Or any at all really..

I expect the levels to be high on the 44 gal because it was just set up on April 1st, the 10 gal has been set up since Jan 1st... I have not changed any filter media!

Back
Top Bottom