Getting TB to Shoal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if putting a "big" or "mildly aggressive fish" in my 20 gallon barb tank will promote schooling of my tiger barbs.

I currently only have 4 (1 albino and 3 green) after the 2 death of two, but since they are fully grown, I didn't want to get 2 juvies that would be picked on. Currently the one albino is very nippy with with 3 greens, so I was wondering that possibly by adding something like maybe a firemouth would be a better alternative to lowering the aggression (by having a big fish present and causing them them school and hopefully lower aggression) than say adding more fish and causing more of a problem. I'm all ears for restocking suggestions.

Thx.

I have 8 tiger barbs in my tank and a blood red parrot.

My dominate barb's aggression is only focused on other barbs.

Everything I have read about barbs ... suggests at least 6.
Maybe you can find 2 more full grown ones?

My tank is a 55g BTW.

I have a fire mouth in my 110g. Make sure it is bigger than the barbs if you add it, but I don't think it will solve your aggression problems. It will probably just live by "itself" in another area of the tank.

The tiger barb hierarchy will decide who is boss.
And it seems your albino is boss.
Not so sure that you can do anything about that. (Other than add a bigger one.. who will then dominate)

I have never had a tiger barb kill another tiger barb.
(I've killed a few(12) with bad water changes..they are really sensitive to chlorine in my experience) ( and I didn't add enough dechlorinator on both occasions)

Hope this helps some.

Dave

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The aggression was just really bothering me for asthetics. I know that they won't kill each other, I just want to have to look at a peaceful tank and not fish harassment.

I was thinking have a big fish in there might frighten them and cause them to cluster instead of just fighting each other. I guess adding a more dominate barb or two won't really help cause there would still be chasing regardless. I'm considering returning them and taking on more peaceful fish.

in my tank when the tigers pick on each other my mom gets mad because she thinks that there going to kill each other

Hi. I agree with Dave that they will sort themselves out. It actually sounds as if they already have. Unfortunately, no tank with a schoal of tiger barbs is going to appear "peaceful". The are very cool fish, but they don't really ever chill out with the lights on IME.

Hi. I agree with Dave that they will sort themselves out. It actually sounds as if they already have. Unfortunately, no tank with a schoal of tiger barbs is going to appear "peaceful". The are very cool fish, but they don't really ever chill out with the lights on IME.

I completely agree.

I would not recommend adding a firemouth to a 20 gallon tank. There just isn't enough room.

Hey,

Thanks for the response guys, I appreciate it? So should I leave it as is or add two juvies (that will likely get harassed) or maybe just add a bottom feeder or a small centerpiece fish to "balance" the tank.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom