Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Getting your Gold Nugget Plec to eat

Gold Nuggets can sometimes be picky eaters. Coupled with the fact that they are nocturnal in many respects and other fish often get to the food before they do, it can be a wonder sometimes if they are even eating at all. If you are having these issues and you have a Biowheel-type filter, try this:

Get some LARGE size flake food (my nugget seems to like Formula 2). Take out one large flake, put it into the water and hold onto it, and try to keep it in one piece. Then, place it directly onto the intake of your filter, where it will obviously be held there by the suction. Make sure it is a large flake. If not, it will be small enough to be sucked into the filter.

Your nugget will surely end up onto the intake box eventually, as they like to scavenge. Sure enough when I tried this, my nugget found the flake I had put on the intake and sucked it right up with that usual pleco sucking fashion.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Pleco Send a message via Yahoo to Pleco
My nuggets tend to eat anything they can get their little suckers on. Pigs, the whole lot of them!! lol. I feed mainly flake, and Hikari algae tabs. My nuggets go nuts over lettuce, and cucumbers (take the seeds out).

Old 09-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FastFly67
i want a gold nugget except i just don't have a tank big enough
Old 09-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Some can be picky, especially when you first get them. The filter intake seems to work well because my nugget always ends up there. It's ironic though...a sucker by the suction

You can have a little nugget in a small tank. Although they can get big, I've never had one that has grown that fast.

Tags
eat, gold, plec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com