----- GH HIGH, KH TOO LOW -----

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kostasonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
My kH is less that 3dkH (perhaps less than 2 even..) and my GH around 12.

I have read that I can add a tea spoon of baking soda per 50L of water and this should increase the kH by around 4 and increase also the pH a bit.

Is it really safe to add baking soda?

Any experience??

First, why do you want to change it? Keeping it constant is MUCH better than trying to hit a specific level.

CC or baking soda will increase both GH and KH along with increasing the PH. What is your pH at currently? and is it stable?

If your tank isn't planted, and your fish don't mind, then I wouldn't worry about it.

The above ways to increase KH do work, but it most likely isn't necessary.

I have my asquarium planted but not really heavily. I have though vallisnerias and ### as well as some anubias.

My pH is around 6.8, quite stable the last two weeks (have just finished cycling and stocked my tank with few danios for now).

What is the difference if the tank is planted or not...??

I was just thinking in the future to achieve a medium-hard water of around 8-10 GH and a slightly acidic pH because like this I have many choices to put (almost) whichever fish i like.

If you plan on adding CO2 to a planted tank, usually you'll want a KH of at least 3 so that your pH doesn't crash.

As long as you acclimate your fish properly you can keep just about any fish in just about any water conditions (as far as hardness is concerned). I personally don't see anything wrong with your conditions as they are. Most people that want to increase KH are either adding CO2, or have zero KH (which is bad).

I'm confused as to how your dKH is less than three and possibly less than 2. If the test doesn't change colors after 2 drops, then it is at least 2. Mine is only 3 coming out of the tap.

mmm..you see I have some straps for measuring the kH...it takes a progresively darker green color the hightr the kH is. So mine is in between the two last colors which are 0 and 3...it can be whatever over 0 and less than 3...

By straps, you mean "strips"? If you are using those dip strips, put them away and get a liquid re-agent test. This is probably why your results are getting skewed.

Ditch the test strips and get a good liquid test kit instead. Test strips can be notoriously inaccurate. It's quite possible that your actual parameters are much better than the test strips are leading you to believe.

puf...

so...I tried to make a search in this forum about good test kits. I can not really locate them.

Can someone suggest me kits or give me a link?

thanx...

Any liquid test kit out there works pretty well, not sure what the best one is. I have the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kit and it works great. You can find them online or at any petco/petsmart shop.

Big thing about shopping at petsmart if you don't already know is that they do a price match with their online prices. The AP master test kit (doesn't have KH in it) is around $30 if you walk into the store, but if you print out the online price and take it in it is only $15.

Back
Top Bottom