Gh/kh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta Platy Addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
Test drops just arrived!

Gh - 13 drops (aka off the chart, 12 drops is 214 ppm)

Kh - 11 drops (196.9ppm)

Fish seem ok (except for the tetras that all died).

Adding pressurized co2 to bring ph (also insanely high/alkaline 8.4-8.6 ish) in 56g down.

Is this a problem?! Good grief. I knew our water was hard but DANG.

Actually most fish acclimate just fine to those types of readings. What type of plants and lighting do you have if your considering CO2? Also what is your stock?

Personally I wouldn't be concerned unless your keeping more delicate fish or plants that really need softer water. I have tap water that is very close in numbers to yours and in some of my more delicate fish tanks such as my 55g and 24g nano fish tanks I use RO water to cut with my tap water during WC's so I can keep my kh/gh/ph where I want it. But this is an exception not the norm.

Actually most fish acclimate just fine to those types of readings. What type of plants and lighting do you have if your considering CO2? Also what is your stock?

Personally I wouldn't be concerned unless your keeping more delicate fish or plants that really need softer water. I have tap water that is very close in numbers to yours and in some of my more delicate fish tanks such as my 55g and 24g nano fish tanks I use RO water to cut with my tap water during WC's so I can keep my kh/gh/ph where I want it. But this is an exception not the norm.

Ok - I won't worry then. Thanks Rivercats!

Back
Top Bottom