GH Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JKJP

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi There,

Wanting some advice we are new to the fish tank world :)

We have a freshwater 90 litre tank, tank is 5 weeks into establishment and all levels
Are great OTHER than the GH Level how do we go about reducing this as it is
Extremely high.

Currently have only 2 baby catfish in there.

We have a very excited little boy who is hanging out to buy some fish :)

Please help :)

Thank You In Advance !!!

Welcome to AA!!!

Can I ask what you are using to test your parameters (liquid or strips)? What are your exact numbers? Strips are quite inaccurate and I would not trust your results if this is what you are using. That said, unless you have plans to keep some exotic or difficult species of fish, generally GH/KH levels are not of a big concern unless they are nonexistent. Your numbers likely reflect your tap water parameters. Just take your time acclimating any future fish to your water conditions and there should not be any issues as most fish are quite adaptable. Please ask if you have questions! :)

Hello JK...

Unless you keep and breed rare fish, you don't need to worry about the pH, hardness or any of that. You just need to treat the tap water to remove the chemicals the water people put into the water so it's safe to drink. Seachem's "Safe" is a good product.

Just treat the tap water according to the instructions on the container and change out half the tank water every week or two. Then, your fish and plants will have safe water conditions.

Pretty simple.

B

all levels
Are great OTHER than the GH Level how do we go about reducing this as it is
Extremely high.

I can definitely give advice on this, but the first thing I need to know is exactly what the level is in the tank, and what it is in the source water that you are using. I recently discovered a situation in one of my aquariums where 6 terra cotta pots were causing the GH to be very high in a tank that is set up for soft water fish!

There are ways to make adjustments if needed, and you can also make your fishkeeping choices based on whatever your levels happen to be. The first thing to do is let us know what your levels are in the aquarium and in the source water.

Back
Top Bottom