Ghost catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khalix

Aquarium Advice Freak
A friend of mine randomly thrust two ghost catfish on me because she's apparently bought several schools of them over the year and hasn't been able to keep them alive. I did have them a few years ago successfully but know they are scaleless and very sensitive to medications which is what I suspect has continued to kill hers off(all of her parameters are good).

They are in my 10 gallon quarantine as of tonight because otherwise she was going to basically throw them out(she really ticked me off with this). Unfortunately I don't have the room in my 20 gallon tropical community to house them and I know they prefer to be in groups of 6 at least. Looking it up it seems people think it's okay to have a school of 6 in a 10 gallon, but I'm unsure? I was considering making my quarantine tank their permanent home and getting a few friends to school with.. but I want to make sure that won't be pushing it. Eventually I'm upgrading my 20 so I am likely to place them there in a species tank once I upgrade sometime after christmas. :?:

In addition to being sensitive to medications, ghost catfish are rather timid and will get stressed out by boisterous fish. The 10g will hold them temporarily, but I think I'd get at least a 30g for a school of six.

That's what I figured. I've been saving up for two different tanks, one being a 75 for my tropical community(which right now only consists of neons), and a 125 I'm buying from a family member who is upgrading after the holidays. Everyone thinks I'm nuts but my goldfish are likely going in there. I'll have an empty 50 gallon that I'd like to do use as a species only tank, though I have been undecided on what route to go so far.

Would the ghost catfish do well with fish like neon tetra's? I don't plan to do anything overly large or even remotely aggressive in there, though I know some people say that neons occasionally fin nip. In your opinion will the two I have be okay by themselves for the couple of months + time for cycling, or should I get a few more now? I just hate to see them without a school until then.

It's not a tank I currently have. I'd fishlessly cycle it with ammonia like I always have. It was for a future tank when I upgrade again. Did you mean the neons are susceptible, or the catfish? I've had the same neons for around a year now so they seem to be doing pretty well. I am a pwc addict. :D

I reckon they will go fine with the neons. But are the neons in a non cycled tank becuase they are quite susaptable to ammonia poisoning

A good friend of mine with an established group of 6 is interested in taking them for her 60g, so I'm going to let her have them. They sure are awesome but I want them to be happy today and not have to wait a few months.

Back
Top Bottom