Ghost/glass/grass Shrimp molting. What do they need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamaj

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read some where before that ghost shrimp wont molt unless there is iron (or some other subtance) in the water. And if they dont molt they die.

What substance do they need? how often do you add it, and how much do you add? My tank is a 20 gallon hex with 5 ghost shrimp. One of them even has eggs!

aj

If you have plants in your aquarium I wouldn't wory about it because you need to give your plants iron to begin with.. If not get some plant food and put in like halfe what is says.

Okay, i do have plants. I add root tabs once a week. Do you know if they give enough iron off? The box doesnt say what it does except that it helps te plants.

aj

:? Oh.. I use some liquid stuff, it says 1 lidful for every 10 gal. Using tablets - I don't know, you may wan't to invest in some liquid plantfood or hope for the best. Ghost shrimp cost $0.26 where I live so if they die start using liquid plant food and buy some more shrimp.

They need calcium, I believe, to harden their new shell. Important thing to do is leave the old shell in the tank after molting, they will frequently eat it to resupply themselves with lost nutrients. Yeah I know, kinda gross, but that's nature.

The other nutrient I've heard they need is iodine, but I'm really not clear on how to provide them with it, what levels, etc...

Just Did a quick Google on aquarium iodine, all i saw was Marine supplements. Sorry, not much help there.

Calcium...... that would explain why my shrimp like my snails so much. The shrimp often hitch a ride on the snail and some times gang up on it in a corner. I have seen several molts in my tank and have even managed to keep 3 batches of shrimp fry alive (so far). What can I add to my tank for my shrimp to chew on, besides something like a T-bone or fingernails, so they will leave the snails alone when they are at the bottom of the tank?

I did a search for Kent Reef Iodine like mentioned on that thread. All i found was for saltwater. Will the salt water stuff work in fresh?

Will the salt water stuff work in fresh?

I used it in my 40 gallon tank but I only dosed half the recommended amount.

My shrimp ended up dying anyway, so I don't know if it does any good or not. Perhaps they were already weak and I was too late with the iodine...

When you say they need iron, do they need to injest it or just have it present in the water. If injestion, can't I just put some spinach in the water?

Back
Top Bottom