Ghost knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erin Sarah

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a black ghost knife and just wanted to know any information anyone could give me.
Thanks

I just got a black ghost knife and just wanted to know any information anyone could give me.
Thanks

My experience with BGKs.

One they are amazing fish.

Two. They get big. You're going to need around a 90G+ tank long term for them due to their rigidity.

Three. They are incredibly sensitive to nitrate levels, let yours get up and you will likely find yours in a very sad state.

Four. They are predators, they will eat small fish and the eyes of small fish.

Five. They can be very easy to hand feed and is a joy to do so.

1) They grow up to 15 inches!
Hence, they require lots of open swimming space.
I observed them using night vision, and they do laps, dart and zoom around the tank at night!
I recommend a 100 gallon tank minimum for an adult.

2) Multiple hiding places!
Caves, Logs etc....

3) Peaceful, slow, non-aggressive tank mates.
This is very important. Boisterous, active fish will bully and stress the BGK and eat all the food.

I recommend Discus, Angelfish, Large tetras, Geophagus, Bichir, corydoras, german blue rams.......

4) Feed frozen Blood worms, brine shrimp, sinking pellets.

(Over time, they will learn to swim to the surface and eat flake food too!)

Bubble_B0y said:
1) They grow up to 15 inches!
Hence, they require lots of open swimming space.
I observed them using night vision, and they do laps, dart and zoom around the tank at night!
I recommend a 100 gallon tank minimum for an adult.

2) Multiple hiding places!
Caves, Logs etc....

3) Peaceful, slow, non-aggressive tank mates.
This is very important. Boisterous, active fish will bully and stress the BGK and eat all the food.

I recommend Discus, Angelfish, Large tetras, Geophagus, Bichir, corydoras, german blue rams.......

4) Feed frozen Blood worms, brine shrimp, sinking pellets.

(Over time, they will learn to swim to the surface and eat flake food too!)

Thanks for your information well it seem like I have the right fish for them and the right environment for them as well thanks so much for your help. One more thing would they eat bubble bee gibes and desert gobies

Bumble-bee Gobies and Desert Gobies are BRACKISH fish......

BGK don't like salt, so I wouldn't recommend them together.

Also, Bumble-bee gobies are very small and will most likely get eaten by the BGK as it gets bigger.

Back
Top Bottom