Ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevenlaura23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 13 feeder gold fish and 2 plecos in my tank. I bought 12 ghost shrimp and only 2 or 3 I ever see. Does anyone know how long they hide for? I also have larger sized rocks in my tank. Over 2 inch rocks. I have seen them coming up from time to time but only to look and go back down under the rocks

The rest were probably eaten by the goldfish. What size is the tank?

It's a 40 gallon tank but I think the goldfish are too small to eat them..we just seen 4 at once.the most since we've gotten them..my bf loves them and likes to watch them.ghost shrimp..may not have been the best to start him off with??? I really think they are down in the rocks but who knows lol

I’ve seen glofish tetras at less than an inch and a half take out a ghost shrimp and they might be smaller than your goldfish. Similarly sized amanos have done fine in my tank but it’s almost like the ghosts aren’t as good at running/ hiding because my glofish took them all out.

Shrimp are also very susceptible to water quality issues, even more so than most fish. That’s a lot of goldfish in there and they are pretty high waste producers so you probably want to double check your parameters. If they died due to trace ammonia or something the goldfish would likely ’dispose’ of them in no time and you may not ever see them.

Additionally ghost shrimp are often in very rough shape when you buy them. Before I had fish who would eat them I still found it’s pretty normal to lose a lot of them in the first couple weeks as the ones who were too stressed out die off. The ones who make it a week or two can last quite a long time.

Re: how long they hide... if they see the goldfish as a threat (which I think is likely ... they’re the bottom of the food chain!) they will probably always hide.

Ok, thank you that helps, I'll keep an eye out for them incase things change, everyone has gave us good advise thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom