Ghost shrimp and mystery snails..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well my moms boyfriend just came home with two.. their floating right now in the tank.. In any case will they be okay with my current population--- Male swordtail platy hybrid, female platy, female swordtail, female molly (( shes in solitary as of now.. )), two skirted tetras, two emerald catfish, and one african dwarf frog.
Also, does anyone know any good sites on ghost shrimp.

The frogs may be able to eat their legs or take bites at them. I've had no experience with ghost shrimp though, so it's only something I think is possible.

hrm... ive found it to be bad to keep frogs and shrimp together. i had four in with my frogs (8 of them at one time) needless to say the shrimp were gone after a month.

Even though he's a dwarf frog it still may bite at them thinking they're food. Especially their thin legs moving around.

Ill watch for him them. I doubt hed do it though.. my little guy dosnt even chase food. lets the flakes come to him

Froggys been a bad boy. Yep .. it was weird.. i hardly see him moving and then as soon as i add a shrimp he starts stalking it around the tank. Hes in the breeders net now x.x

best source of info: http://www.petshrimp.com and especially their article on Ghost Shrimp/Glass Shrimp.

I'd actually be more worried about the fish nipping at the shrimps than I would the frog. If any of the swords/platies are huge, they might go after the shrimp. If they are still small, you are probably fine.

I keep ghost shrimp in all of my tanks and havent had any predatory casualties. The shrimp arent very tolerant of poor water conditions, or continually changing water conditions, so keep up on your water maintenance and make sure your paramaters are in check. My main community tank is heavily planted and has a lot of hiding places, so that might help them a bit too.
I keep the shrimp with Bettas, Neon Tetras, Guppies, Plecos, Cory Cats, Mystery snails, and have had them with tiger barbs and Amano shrimp as well. None of the fish have ever been a problem, although a large mystery snail has snacked on already dead shrimp a time or two.

Shrimp are very sensitive to even very low levels of ammonia, so keep that in mind. I keep ghost shrimp, amanos, and vampires with two ADFs. The frogs are one male one female, both fully grown (male is smaller than female) and I've seen one shrimp get it's head bitten off by one of the frogs when it was smaller. The shrimp and frog were about equal in size. I've never seen the frogs touch the amanos or my two vampires, so I think that maybe a one time deal. I also have two large catfish in the tank that take care of the shrimp when they die or are about to die and about 7-8 months ago when one of my pencilfish died it was swallowed whole by my spotted raphael.

Back
Top Bottom