Ghost Shrimp Babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55-gallon tank with the following inhabitants.

4 Platy
1 Molly
4 Gourami
1 Chinese Algae Eater
2 Panda Cories
1 Mystery Snail
Lots of Ghost Shrimp

Basically the floor of my tank is littered with about 25 Ghost Shrimp. I noticed one of the larger ones is carrying eggs. Some of the eggs look like they're hanging out, but since I noticed yesterday I don't see her dropping any eggs. Does anyone know anything about the Ghost Shrimp reproductive cycle that can clue me into what is going on here? Also, should these eggs be laid somewhere, what are the chances of survival for the eggs and then shrimp larvae in the tank?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've heard very different stories about ghost shrimp life cycle - and because of this I believe there are different species of shrimp called "ghost shrimp."

The ghost shrimp that I bred sound like the same as yours. The Mum carries the eggs until they hatch and the babies are then miniture adults. If you want the babies to survive you will probalby need a breeding net or a differnent tank. The babies will get eaten by your fish otherwise.

Your mummy shrimp should start dropping the babies any time now.

Thanks. There are plenty of hiding places in between the rocks for the babies. I'll let nature take its course. Will the adult shrimp be a problem for the baby shrimp? Are the baby shrimp a food source for the fry? I know I have a couple swimming in between the rocks down there somewhere. They pop out occasionally.

Your fry (platies I assume) might eat your baby shrimp. But on the other hand, if you have some fry survive you are probably more likely to have some baby shrimp survive also. In short - maybe.

I don't belive adult shrimp will be able to catch baby shrimp, but I don't know for sure.

Boy, I'm not much help am I - I answer every question with "maybe" LOL.

Yeah, there are plenty of hiding places from the adult fish, so I guess I'll just see how it pans out. Here are the eggs inside of her.

img_757197_0_144c2c849767a089516ae529ea569e47.jpg

the babies will float tail up at the surface of the water until they become free swimming. Then, they will stick to the walls of the tank. In that stage, they can easily be eaten by fish, so I would highly recommend another tank, if you want any of them to survive. I would not suggest a breeders net, as I know ghost shrimp can easily get in and out of those things.

she looks like she is about to drop them, keep a close eye on her

I guess I'll just let nature take it's course. If they make it they make it, but like I said, I have 25 or so already on the ground running around.

Back
Top Bottom