ghost shrimp breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys, baby ghosties are very hard to raise.

I've been keeping ghost shrimp for years. They have a relatively short lifespan if you're buying them from the store..(Never know how old they are upon purchase)

But they are quite helpful.

I've personally been advised not to keep American Glass and RCS together. The ghosts are about 1.5x the size of the dwarf RCS and can sometimes be agressive to them. ALSO ghost shrimp plainly eat their own fry, I've seen it ;( so they'd most definitely eat the cherry fry.

The period between berried and releasing is about 30 days, if I recall correctly, and it takes a week or so for the larval stage to pass. I only ever had one lady give birth to a successful batch, and I will say I had aquarium salt in the aquarium at the time.

It was very interesting to watch the herd thin from 30 to 9 successful larva.

The babies feed off of food from their egg for a while, then from my experience, they can latch up to well pounded up fish flake/food.

I watched mine move in the blink of an eye from a few inches away to jump on a tiny particle of food near it while it hung in mid water.

Only about 3 made it to the point of sitting right side up on their legs on gravel.. And that's when my beta decided to devour them all. LOL.

I didn't cover my filter intake, so that should show you how strong the little babies are. My advice is to add a little aquarium salt, as long as you don't have corydoras.

AS FOR the moss balls... In all my research, yes they grow .5mm a year, BUT they always are filtering bad stuff from the water... Something I think is invaluable, especially in a tank where you're looking to create a chain of symbiotic relationships between the environment! (Like the 5 gal tank I'm working on in my signature!)

Back
Top Bottom