Giant Danio Gill damage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarlFlegg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice here.

I have a 180 litre tank, lightly planted with elodea, a bit of ocean rock in there too.

Tank was cycled with liquid ammonia for 2 months before adding fish.

Ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0, nitrate = 20-30 (actually lower than the 40ppm from the tap)

PH 8.2, moderately hard water.

Current stocking is 1 x featherfin syno, 1 x aulonocara (I'm guessing either stuartgranti maleri or hybrid, not sure yet, but that's a different topic) and 6 giant Danio.

The Danio were introduced last, about a month ago, I noticed when I got them home that one of the smaller ones had a problem with his hills, on both sides the Gill flap appears to be bent forward and the red inner gills are showing.

At first I though Gill flukes or some other Gill parasite, put the lil guy into my 40l quarantine tank, he has been in there since I got him, so about a month now, he has show no signs of anything untoward, no flashing, no strange behaviour, no heavy breathing, is eating fine... The gills have not got any better or any worse over the month.

I have started to think that either what he had has gone and this is residual damage, or the gills were damaged in some other way, I have began a 7 day treatment of melafix and primafix to see if I can encourage some healing, on day 3 now and still no difference either way.

Just wondering if anyone could shed any light for me? He looks lonely in the hospital tank while his 5 buddies are chilling in the big one :(

Thanks in advance.
Carl.

Sounds like residual damage to me. It's been a month and he's acting fine. If it were me I'd but him back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea I guessed as much, just wanted to be reassured lol.

I've put him in the main tank and I am now dosing the main tank with mela/prima try to help him heal a bit, it just looks so bad bless him

Yea I guessed as much, just wanted to be reassured lol.

I've put him in the main tank and I am now dosing the main tank with mela/prima try to help him heal a bit, it just looks so bad bless him

Can you get a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432494578.976184.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432494603.272024.jpg

The two best I could get I'm afraid, he kept moving about so unfortunately I had to quickly catch the poor bugger again lol. Like I say he acts perfectly normal, his colour is good, it just looks really sore, almost like someone has bent the Gill flaps back on themselves somehow

Thanks,
Carl.

Back
Top Bottom