Glass Cat advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BondStreet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi There...

I just bought 8 glass cats from my lfs for my 75 gall. planted, community tank. My water is great. However, one of the cats already died. I have other community fish in the tank already. All peaceful. However, the glass cats aren't eating. I tried flakes and bloodworms. Do you think it is just an adjustment problem for now? I just don't want them to starve!

Thanks for any advice...

Bondstreet

Glass cats tend to be a bit flakey when introduced into new surroundings. Try to make sure they have enough food, because they usually wont acctually come up to eat, but just grab whatever falls in fron t of their faces. You could try enticing them to eat with live bloodworms, blackworms, or brine shrimp. :lol:

chicken

I have two glass cats in my 33 gallon community tank. I had the same problem until I found out they are very shy. You need to have lots of good hiding place for them. They will usually just sit in hiding and rarely be seen. They do school together, 8 might be a bit much due to the fact that they get quite large.

I would agree with nejsux and something_fishy, they take a while to acculamate. I'm sorry but i dont have any suggestions. :cry:

n00b here. exactly what is a glass cat? btw, i haven't been to my LFS in quite a long time, so i am kinda out of practice about identifying fishies. thanks.

Glass cat is a transparent catfish, you can see its insides/skeleton etc. Very quiet, don't do much, but interesting to look at.

COOL!!! Must get one (or more) of these....are they fresh or saltwater? Cost? Where to buy? Conditions? Temperament? Thanks.....:)

I saw some tonight at petsmart, and they are indeed very cool to look at. My mom pointed them out and i said, "where", "i dont see them". finally i spotted their spines and then saw the whole school. it was really cool.

If you like transparent fish there are a few kinds. I've seen x-ray tetras in the local shop - about the same size and shape as a black phantom tetra, but see-through.

starkill I dont think you should get a glass cat. It seems to me you don't know a lot about them.You'd be best to find out about them first-I didn't mean to sound offensive!

no, you werent sounding offensive. you are right i dont know much about them. just learned about them from this board actually. i doubt i would run out and buy one just because. im an impulsive buyer, but not when it comes to living things. hehe. anyway, i already got a lecture about my post. so, anyway, yeah, the glass cats will come later. but thanks for your opinion. glad you are letting me know they arent beginners fish.

Back
Top Bottom