Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to dsilvers
Glass Catfish

Hi everyone
I am new to the forum. I found it through google while searching for more info on Glass Cats. My fiance and I have been developing our hobby since December and have done an amazing amount of research, after some initial mistakes. And we now have two great tanks. 20 gal and 10 gal. I will research fish before we get them to make sure everyone is compatible and the size of the tank is suffiicient for their requirements, pH, hardness, etc. The only two fish we got on a whim are our two glass catfish. they are hilarious, very active and they love their new hiding rock. However, one of them started riding the filter...just hangs out in the current. Is this cause for alarm. I check temperature and fish behavior every day. I test pH twice a week. We do regular water changes, and have substrate with live plants in both tanks. Although we do a light surface cleaning with a syphon with each water cleaning...just to lift up visible waste. Anyway...I keep reading different things on the glass catfish. They seem happy together, but now I read that you need them in a school? Any advice on them would be great.

Old 05-14-2003, 01:47 PM   #2

Quote:
However, one of them started riding the filter...just hangs out in the current. Is this cause for alarm
From what I've read, its not a problem, they are a river fish in the wild, and like the current! Never kept them before myself. Also, yes, I have heard they do better in schools, maybe get 2-4 more.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

So do you think I should get them two friends? Problem is...I don't want to overload the tank. We are very careful about the inch to gallon ratio. We watch them grow, etc. In our 20 gallon we stopped at 14 inches of fish because some will grow. And we will eventually have to upgrade. right now it's fine. But in the 10 gal...we have approx 8-9 inches of fish. More towards 8, but I don't want to push it.
We watch them every day in the morning when they are fed. And the glass catfish fly up to the top and swim around. Sothey are very active. This is just the first time I've seen them hang out in the current of the filter.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:37 PM   #4

This is just my opinion, some may disagree with me. If you have a fair amount of live plants in the tank, you can push the inches per gallon rule somewhat. however a 10 is so small, bad things can happen to your water in a hurry. I'd prolly just get 1-2 more glass cats and stop fish purchases for that tank.

Or, Buy a Bigger Tank!!!
Old 05-14-2003, 02:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

See, at this point, we had stopped buy for that tank. We figured 7-8 inches of fish is enough, being some will grow. The two neons and the julii cat are little guys. The glowlights and the glass cats are bigger. The pleco is the biggest at 2 inches. And things were doing so well, we always leave the inches per fish lower than the gallon number so there is enough to go around for everyone. But I am not sure what to do. The other option is to move either the smaller neons or the two glowlights to the bigger thank. I think the bigger glowlights would be better b/c they are big enough to stand up to the mollies, platies, etc. in that tank. Who are all nice sized. The good thing about the 20 gal is everyone in it has become part of a mixed school. The more we add, they just befriend them. It's interesting. Right now that 20 gal is at 14 inches of fish. So we could put in the two glowlights...hmmm. I have to look them up and see if they get along with what's in the 20 gal. Any thoughts anyone?
Old 05-14-2003, 02:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just read that the glowlights can be in a peaceful community, which is the 20 gal. They are active, but everyone gets along. And they like substrate, which we have. The 20 gal has GREAT hiding places, too. Rocks, lots of live plants. So maybe I will move the two glowlights to the 20 gal and add two more glass catfish to the 10 for the other two glass catfish. The little neons have had the glowlights to hang out with for a while now though. I wonder if that will cause a problem. i would get another tank, but we just got both tanks settled. We have a nice 5 gallon set up that is our quarantine tank. We quarantine all fish we purchase for one week prior to adding them to our environments. So three tanks are enough for now
Old 05-14-2003, 03:27 PM   #7

Do what you think is best. It's obvious from your posts that you do your research and take good care of your wet pets!

Keep hanging around here, we always need people who know their stuff!
Old 05-14-2003, 03:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you! I was this way with my dog, too. I read so many books. So I figured fish deserve the same attention. We also lost our first fish rather quickly, so since we wanted to get more we figured we better learn what to do. I think the glowlights might move to the big tank. We'll see. I don't want the glass cats to be unhappy. It's funny, then our 10 gal will be a catfish haven with the Juhlii cory cat, pleco and glass catfish ruling the roost. The poor neons
Any advice I can give, I have learned a lot. We even had molly frys! About 40 of them!
Old 05-15-2003, 10:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Little Update: I went home and checked pH. Normally I do this about...2x a week. But I figured I'd check it out. It was close to normal, but a wee bit to acidic for my liking. I did a 20% water change and everyone was happy and the glass catfish were no longer by the filter. I also add aquarium salt and dechlorinate the water with AquaSafe. We use filtered tap water. Our tap water is rather basic, so I was surprised the first time the 10gal leaned towards acidic. I believe that was due to a plant that wasn't doing well. And it has since been removed. It's odd, the 10 gal seems to be harder to stablize than the 20 gal. But it's ok and everyone is happy. And the Pleco keeps it so clean! So we are going to move the Glowlights to the 20 gal and get 2 more glass catfish--so they will be a happy school of four.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
Glass cats love current and and yes they should be kept in groups.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:51 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Criptos
It's generally harder to maintain the water in the smaller tanks then big ones.
It like this, say you have a tank that can hold 10 gallons, Which we will say represent 10 Blocks, and a 100.

In that 10 Gallon if just 1 Block is infected then thats 1/10th of the tank.
If 1 Block in the 100 gallon is infected thats only 1/100th, it would take 10 infected blocks to keep the ratio the same. So a bigger out break of some disease to harm the larger tank if you get what I am saying. not the best explanation but I think it will do for been written at midnight.
3 Angels
2 Red Flame Dwarf Gouramis
2 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis
MORE COMING SOON
Criptos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:18 AM   #12

dsilvers - what exactly is in your 10 and 20? You know you should be using the full grown size of the fish to calc. the ratio, not the size they are now. For example, you mentioned having a pleco in the 10 gallon, and many plecos can grow to be very large, much larger than a 10g tank can hold. It just sounds like you are already overstocked.

Tags
catfish, glass, glass catfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com