Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Glass Catfish

Our glass catfish are completely miserable (I think) is it normal them not moving around much? Also would they be okay in a guppy nursery? Do they NEED gravel or do they care.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

They need perfect water or they turn sluggish.

They need dim light or darker areas of the tank with areas of plants or cover nearby to be /feel safe. And a small group is needed as well for the to feel safe, say 4-5 minimum.

Personally I do not think they care one bit about substrate.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

They have perfect water constantly , plenty of shade and caves tunnels and plants and 6 in the group. They could not go in the nursery they tried to kill my fry. Iv never seen them so active. So they returned to their original tank. I did however shine a light towards the tank to check the temp.

They are very active at night so I feel better knowing that they are OK they just don't care for an audience I guess.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

They are pretty shy with people around.

It is good to know you saw them active in the "dark". Mine hide almost all day and just dart out periodically and when I feed mainly.

They are maybe hungry. Maybe feed right as you are shutting down the lights for the night. Say like turn off their tank light but leave a light on in the room and feed them then. They can get really long. Mine have been in a tank with larger fish than their mouths. They are bug (meat) eaters and would like live food and worms.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Maybe I could toss in unwanted fry as a treat I didn't know that. I do it for one of my bettas he loves it ill try it for them too.

Tags
catfish, fish, glass, glass catfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com