Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2006, 08:35 PM   #1

glass catfish

I am thinking ahead....

Once i get my new 20s set up, i am considering a school of 5-6 glass catfish. what would be good to pair up with these guys?

Thanks
P.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
glass cats can be put with any community fish, i have mine in a tankful ranging from neons to gouramis to BGK.

personally i think a school of neons would complement your glass cats

make sure they do get their share of food, as they are somewhat shy, and may even stay in a cave, not realizing its feeding time (they are almost blind, and use their whiskers to find food)

Old 07-26-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glass cats are the only see-thru fish that I think are really cool instead of just creepy. The eyes on the regular glass fish are freaky.

FishProfiles says they're "middle surface" fish. Is that right? I saw some in PetSmart, and they were up around the surface. Would I be able to keep a few of them in a 30 gal. along with 5 panda corys and some ghost shrimp? That would be pretty crowded if the glass cats want to stay on the bottom.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
my glass cats go to the middle occasionaly, but are more of a mid bottom dweller, and when given the chance, enjoys staying in a cave or some sort of cover, but they didnt always hide

and yes, glass fish are creepy, they have those big eyes, and because their face is the only part that is solid, they kinda remind me (i think it was at least) the robots from i robot
Old 07-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my cats (rest in peace) would always "hang out" at the back of the tank. They rarely came to the front. They didn't seem to stay at the mid-bottom as previously stated, but rather would hide behind anything at any level. They're great to look at, but are shy, and don't really do much of anything.

Also, they like to hide, and sit motionless, and are see-thru, so therefore they are difficult to find sometimes, especially if you have plants...

As for compatibility, they stick together, so I am not sure any other community fish would bother them at all...I had them with skirt tetras, GBRs, madagascar/boesemani rainbows, and core cats, and the glass cats didn't care at all.
MSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
They like a good water flow. Mine would stay in front of my hob filter swimming against the current.

Tags
catfish, glass, glass catfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com