glass catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am thinking ahead....

Once i get my new 20s set up, i am considering a school of 5-6 glass catfish. what would be good to pair up with these guys?

Thanks
P.

glass cats can be put with any community fish, i have mine in a tankful ranging from neons to gouramis to BGK.

personally i think a school of neons would complement your glass cats

make sure they do get their share of food, as they are somewhat shy, and may even stay in a cave, not realizing its feeding time (they are almost blind, and use their whiskers to find food)

Glass cats are the only see-thru fish that I think are really cool instead of just creepy. The eyes on the regular glass fish are freaky.

FishProfiles says they're "middle surface" fish. Is that right? I saw some in PetSmart, and they were up around the surface. Would I be able to keep a few of them in a 30 gal. along with 5 panda corys and some ghost shrimp? That would be pretty crowded if the glass cats want to stay on the bottom.

my glass cats go to the middle occasionaly, but are more of a mid bottom dweller, and when given the chance, enjoys staying in a cave or some sort of cover, but they didnt always hide

and yes, glass fish are creepy, they have those big eyes, and because their face is the only part that is solid, they kinda remind me (i think it was at least) the robots from i robot

my cats (rest in peace) would always "hang out" at the back of the tank. They rarely came to the front. They didn't seem to stay at the mid-bottom as previously stated, but rather would hide behind anything at any level. They're great to look at, but are shy, and don't really do much of anything.

Also, they like to hide, and sit motionless, and are see-thru, so therefore they are difficult to find sometimes, especially if you have plants...

As for compatibility, they stick together, so I am not sure any other community fish would bother them at all...I had them with skirt tetras, GBRs, madagascar/boesemani rainbows, and core cats, and the glass cats didn't care at all.

They like a good water flow. Mine would stay in front of my hob filter swimming against the current.

Back
Top Bottom