Glass cleaner - preferences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

What's everyone's preferences for cleaning the inside of their aquariums?

Do most people prefer algae brushes, algae magnets or just a regular sponge?

Want to get something that effective as inside of my tank is starting to look a bit grubby.

I use one of the long handled scrubbers and a magnet scrubber, mainly because my hands always have small nicks and cuts and these limit the amount of fish water they encounter.I also make sure to do it before I change out the filter floss in my HOB filters and then switch them to high for a half hour or so before changing it for new floss so the majority of floating crap is out of the tank.

I use a simple cheap thing from superfish.
Basically a strong plastic-straw with a sponge at the end.
If you do it every week it doesn't matter what you use.

If you really gotta go in there, it is a good idea to buy a anti algae sponge.

Not only for cuts on your hands, but think about what you put in there...
And even if I gotta go in there plastic gloves are the way to go.

I use Magic Eraser. If you go with that, ensure you get the original rather than the kitchen or bathroom ones-- they add chemicals.

Bounty paper towels and elbow grease. I wouldn't even use a magic eraser on the outside of my tank. I'd actually slap it out of your hand if you tried to walk into my fish cave with one haha. The magnet scrubbers are my go with sw and a paint scraper and extreme elbow grease.. ouch my elbow

Magic erasers are completely safe. I've worked at fish stores and a public aquarium and were frequently used there. :)

Sorry, not putting anything that MIGHT contain chemicals, ANYWHERE near MY tank, don't even have them in my house.

I emailed the manufacturer- think it's Johnson & Johnson and was told they won't guarantee the chemical contents, so NOPE NO HOW NO WAY.

As for fish stores etc using them, have you seen the condition of some of their fish, and unless I actually talk to a employee who actually uses it I call bull crap

By all means, don't use them if you don't want to. No one is forcing you.

Of course they can't guarantee it, they're not manufactured for aquariums. That doesn't mean they're toxic. Non-aquarium branded silicone specifically says do not use in aquariums, but we all use that.

And I'm telling you, I am that employee. I've been using them daily at work for many years now and my fish are healthy and my tanks are sparkling.

By all means, don't use them if you don't want to. No one is forcing you.

Of course they can't guarantee it, they're not manufactured for aquariums. That doesn't mean they're toxic. Non-aquarium branded silicone specifically says do not use in aquariums, but we all use that.

And I'm telling you, I am that employee. I've been using them daily at work for many years now and my fish are healthy and my tanks are sparkling.
We "all" use a very specific type silicone that contains no moldicides or mildew inhibitors. It's basically the same thing you'd get in a branded aquarium sealant tube. Using any other type would potentially make your aquarium seals toxic to the nitrifying bacteria that keeps it alive. Dish sponges, magic erasers, even some pot scrubbers may contain similar chemicals. It's just a major gamble. This is just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Yes, GE silicone #1, the one everyone uses for aquariums, specifically says not to use on aquariums. Because it is not marketed for them. That's all I was trying to say.

Once again, I'm not telling anyone to use a magic eraser if they don't want to. I'm just saying I've been using them for years and IME, they are completely safe.

As for fish stores etc using them, have you seen the condition of some of their fish, and unless I actually talk to a employee who actually uses it I call bull crap

My aquatics expert where I work is the one who turned me onto them. She's been using them in the tanks for years.

Thanks guys for the responses - I bought a Tetra magnetic cleaner alongside a longer handled sponge brush. The Tetra magnet was fantastic, did a brilliant job. I haven't needed to even use the sponge brush yet as it was so good.

Back
Top Bottom