Glass cover reducing light output?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wishbone

Aquarium Advice Activist
My glass cover is constantly fogging up and collection moisture. The moisture wlil dry and leave hard water deposits behind. This seems to significantly reduce the power output of my lights. Do people usually just run without a glass cover? I've never had a fish jump out of the tank, but I've heard enough horror stories to make me not want to leave the tank uncovered.

Look for a product called 'egg crate' in your local home improvment store. Its basicly a florecent light difuser for comercial light fixtures. Cut this to fit and you wont have the problem you have with the glass covers. the difuser has small squares to permit gas exchange and only the smallest fish could excape

You are going to get evaporation no matter what. If you don't yse the glass, the stuff will accumulate on your light fixture. I find it easier to clean the glass. :D

BASSNMAN said:
You are going to get evaporation no matter what. If you don't yse the glass, the stuff will accumulate on your light fixture. I find it easier to clean the glass. :D

well my light sits a good three inches off my tank (thanks to legs) so it really doesn't have this problem. The egg crate idea is pretty cool though, I think I'll look into that, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom