Glass coverings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I was surfing around the forums and I can't tell how everyone covers their tank. I'm always afraid my fish will hop out. What is the best way to cover the tank? ...Or is glass what you are all useing?

Look up "Versa-tops" on Goolge and you should find something. Plexiglass won't work not matter how thick it is since it always seems to bow with time. You should be able to get glass cut at a hardware store to fit your tank if you can't find the lids. The lids should be about $10-$25 each depending on your tank size. Some tanks require two lids. Generally these tanks are 4 ft and up.

Glass lids will prevent evaporation in addition to fish jumping.

If you are just interested in keeping the fish in, you can also use eggcrate. This is a plastic grid used as light diffuser for dropped ceiling lights. You cut the piece to fit over your tank & that should keep fish out & still allow air circulation.

Thanks guys,.. i currently have the glass ones but they get so dirty in such a short period of time and it diminishes the light in the water. I dont mind cleaning it during water changes but wanted to see if there was any trick. Part of my problem is my tank will go clear as I clean it and then after a few days it will become a bit murky again. Fish all doing good but I want it to stay clear. Of course! :)

If it gets dirty that fast then you have large fish or are way past the limit on what your tank can handle. I wouldn't recommend eggcrate unless you secure it down with something and then it'd be okay.

If your tops are getting murky it's probably because you have hard water in the tank. Is it lime deposits or just muck? If it's lime you can take out half of the water in the tank and replace it with filtered water to soften it up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom