Glass Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fanaticbooks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Glass Gravel? Catfish? (added on further down)

I have a 28 gal. octagonal tank, had it for years. I have been using rock/gravel that is not glass bought from pet stores over the years.

I finally found a home for my Pleco and still have 3 guppies and a tetra in there. I use plastic plants tied to fake rocks and a piece of fake coral for decoration.

Since I am low on fish, the plants are ready to be trashed (turning black) and the Pleco left a lot of yuk stuff behind, I am thinking about changing everything but the water out.

I like the looks of the glass gravel but don't know how safe it is to use for fish, filtering, breakage. Since I intend to scoop all rock presently in there out (after removing the fish into a safer environment while I do so), and putting in new plant stuff, maybe live?, maybe not, I would value opinions by people who actually know what they are doing, which is not me. :)

Any suggestions?
fanaticbooks

Last edited:
Hi there,

What kind of pleco is it? Also the tetra needs a bigger school.
I think you are fine without glass gravel, my concern is that the pleco might cut itself on the sharp edges.

Glass gravel is perfectly safe for aquariums, may not be the best choice for planted tanks but for everyday use you'll have no issues.

Last edited:
Bruinsbro1997,
My Pleco was a marble fin? I think that is what it was called by the fish person at Wet Pets. I was able to catch it myself thanks to them giving suggestions for doing so. Took it to them and they put it with another one so it should find a good home. He said it could grow as big as 3 feet so am glad I have it removed through my small top of the aquarium. :)

Also, I DO intend to get more tetras, but figured I would do so after changing the tank. I am very low on schooling fish, usually about 10 in there but they have dwindled.

Hukit,
I have tried live plants and they have been a royal pain so reverted to plastic. I just want a new look but the safety of the fish has to come first. Since I don't know anything about glass, don't know do's and don'ts on it. Thanks for your response.

One other thing while I am about this....

It has been suggested that instead of a Pleco or Chinces algae eater, I should get catfish for keeping the tank clean. Every time I have tried them, my catfish have died within 2 weeks.

Any suggestions for kind of catfish and/or how to keep them from dying?

If I need to post this comment in its own thread, let me know. I will be glad to oblige but felt I may as well throw it into the mix also. :)

fanaticbooks

fanaticbooks said:
One other thing while I am about this....

It has been suggested that instead of a Pleco or Chinces algae eater, I should get catfish for keeping the tank clean. Every time I have tried them, my catfish have died within 2 weeks.

Any suggestions for kind of catfish and/or how to keep them from dying?

If I need to post this comment in its own thread, let me know. I will be glad to oblige but felt I may as well throw it into the mix also. :)

fanaticbooks

What kind of catfish? There's a lot. It's true they will eat food that falls to the bottom but they aren't going to eat fish waste for you.

bruinsbro,
I don't know. It has been a year or so and all anyone ever says is "catfish." They are small about 1-2 inches long and don't grow any bigger.

I am interested in keeping the green off the walls of my tank. That has always been a problem.

The green is algae, instead of getting algae eaters like most people recommend I like using my MagFloat. It's a magnet, with one side on the outside and the other on the inside, the inside part having a rough material on it that will get rid of algae on the tank. I like it so it's my suggestion.

Edit: those catfish are probably corydoras. There are lots of them and are really cool fish.

Wow, Bruinsbro.

I never heard of that before. I went looking and there are ones for acrylic. Sounds like it would be worth a try before investing in fish that eat algae. I don't seem to have too much luck with the fish.

Thank you.
fanaticbooks

IMO you shouldn't get a fish to clean algae. If you need the algae gone you can get an algae scrapper. You should only get fush you like, not to do a "job" but thats just my opinion. If youre really set on getting a fish to eat algae I would say otos, but wait til you tank is well established.

Also how long are you keeping your lights on?

I do try to get fish I like. Actually I love the Plecos...very disappointed I couldn't keep this one. I have an algae scraper but it didn't work well. Will try that MagFloat. It might work fine.

The light goes on about 9 am and off about 10 pm. I don't use a heater because my house is very warm compared to many (there's a diabetic in my family who gets cold easily) and so it isn't needed. Temp in water is usually about 76 degrees F.

A problem with your algae could be linked to how much light your giving. There is no reason for your lights to be on 13 hours a day. I don't keep mine on fir more than 8, even if you break it up into 2 4 hour periods where you'll be home seeing them most often. But changing that should cut down on algae :)

If you like plecos a lot you could get a bristlenose. It would help with the algae and only grow to around 4 inches

Thanks Fishkeeper. I'll give it a try. Thing is I enjoy my fishtank many hours of the day. Being retired means I am home usually and it is fun to watch...especially when my two cats get interested. ;)

Thank you tarpon. Doing a little research I like the looks of them as well as the simple care instructions.

I will definitely keep them in mind when I restock.
fanaticbooks

Yepp. I love my albino one. Just make sure to vary its diet with different veggies too.
Mines active and has a lot of personality.

Back
Top Bottom