Glass pebbles from the flower department

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mary Mary

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can I use glass pebbles from the flower department as well as the ones you find with the fish supplies?

There are some cool red ones with a goldish sheen to them in the flower supplies that will look good with my betta. (He's whitish with hints of blue with reddish-gold fins.) I've got some blue glass pebbles in with him now (found in the fish department) and they really help set off his colors.

Will the reddish/goldish ones be okay too?

i used the glass pebble with all three of my bettas for the past three months. No problems at all, and they really set off their colors. However, since I upgraded their tanks, I also changed them over to natural gravel.

You should be good using the reddish golden ones (come to think of it, those color pebbles are the same ones i have in with my red betta)

Cool, thanks!!!

I figured they were all the same, but thought that BEFORE I got some I would check, just in case.

He started out with just tan gravel, but he didn't really show up too well against that. The blue pebbles have really brought out his blue highlights already. I think I'll get the red/gold ones and just throw a few of those in for an accent color.

I think he must be feeling pretty good with his new decor. He's flaring his fins more than I've ever noticed before and he's amassed a bunch of bubbles.

I would recommend being careful when using those glass arrangement beads. While they won't affect your water chemistry if rinse properly before using, they can break revealing sharp edges. I could easily see an investigative Betta hurting itself on a broken edge.

Just wanted to come back here to say that I think the red pebbles with the goldish sheen my have contributed to the death of my betta.

I put the pebbles in within the past two weeks or so and yesterday he died. I couldn't figure out what might have caused his death as he had been acting quite well and active, at least to my eyes.

We had a little funeral for him (he belonged to my three year old daughter) and then I cleaned out the bowl. I spread all the glass pebbles out to dry and I noticed that the 'sheen' had come off of some of the red pebbles. Not all of them, but definitely some of them. I can't help but think that there might have been some metallic element to whatever made the 'sheen' and perhaps the betta died of metal poisoning.

In any event, I have removed the red pebbles and we got a new betta today.

Of course it's hard to know WHAT happened in some cases like this, but from now on I'm sticking ONLY with stuff I buy in the fish department!!!

I've been using those marbles from the walmart craft section for years. However if you mean the ones that when you look in the right light they get what looks like the rainbow that appears in a puddle of gas, I've never used those. I'll bet there's some sort of oil in the paint used in that glass. Sorry about your betta. By the way, some bettas will turn colours depending on your substrate. My white girl is now blue and white.

Back
Top Bottom