glass vs acrylic tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am thinking of changing tanks I currently have an 100 gal. tank that is about 17 y.o. I have resealed it about 4 or 5 years ago, but it is starting to show its age..
what do yall think about acrylic tanks vs. glass. I am looking for a tank between 50 and 100 gal.

Indeed, acrylic scratch a lot easier and will require more buffering; however it's a lot safer and forgivable if you'll be having a lot of rocks in your aquascape. I hear that in due time, acrylic will start to get yellow'ish in color, but I'm not 100% sure. All up to personal preference and your available funds.

Acrylic tanks are easier to scratch. That being said, they still aren't easy to scratch and any scratches in them can be easily buffed out.

Acrylic tanks are also quite a bit lighter so it is commonly used for larger tanks.

In general acrylic is considered to be superior to glass but that is likely just from people's personal preferences. They are both good materials for tanks.

I agree, acrylic tanks are lighter and don't leak at the seams. It scratches easily, so don't use a metal algae scraper. Also, I heard that if you use a magnetic algae scraper, sometimes your gravel (or sand) can get in between the magnet and scratch your tank. BUT, acrylic tanks are ALOT stronger. I think it comes down to what you like. I personally like glass, because with acrylic, at some angles the tank could distorted.

I agree, acrylic tanks are lighter and don't leak at the seams. It scratches easily, so don't use a metal algae scraper. Also, I heard that if you use a magnetic algae scraper, sometimes your gravel (or sand) can get in between the magnet and scratch your tank. BUT, acrylic tanks are ALOT stronger. I think it comes down to what you like. I personally like glass, because with acrylic, at some angles the tank could distorted.

Oh, also if you need to treat a disease with a dye (malachite green ect...) it will stain the acrylic.

There is a huge price difference. I prefer acrylic after having used both but paying twice as much doesn't appeal. And yes, it is easier to scratch, you need acrylic-specific cleaning tools, and stick-on thermometers don't work... but wow are they clear! And you don't need a team of strong backs to move one.

Oh, also if you need to treat a disease with a dye (malachite green ect...) it will stain the acrylic.

That stuff stains decor and sealants and tubing and your floor should you spill any... Just don't use it or use it only in a hospital tank setting. It did not, however, stain my acrylic Eclipse 6 when I foolishly used it years ago.

Acrylic will give you less distortion and will give truer color to the inhabitants of the tank. Glass usually has a greenish tint. Acrylic is light and easily moved. It wont spring a leak and is easily moved. But unless youre getting a large tank, I would say go with glass. Its cheaper, wont scratch still easy enough to move with a couple of people. I have a huge acrylic tank and its scratched. Its scratched on the outside from things brushing across the front, scratched on the inside from cleaning the glass, rocks and lots of mystery marks which i have no clue how they happened.

I would suggest acrylic is best when there is no other option. Get a glass tank

I have had bother glass and acrylic

I would never have a acrylic tank again they are rubbish

I know 2 people who's front acrylic panels just popped off

Yes acrylic is lighter than glass but unless you are going to empty the tank and move it around the room daily who cares which is lighter

Acrylic scratches bad my stingrays used to go up the side glass with sand on the the tank was a mess
I expect you would get the same problems with pleco rasping

Acrylic is clearer than standard glass but you can get super clear glass like opti white

I didn't like acrylic one bit

I have had bother glass and acrylic

I would never have a acrylic tank again they are rubbish

I know 2 people who's front acrylic panels just popped off

Yes acrylic is lighter than glass but unless you are going to empty the tank and move it around the room daily who cares which is lighter

Acrylic scratches bad my stingrays used to go up the side glass with sand on the the tank was a mess
I expect you would get the same problems with pleco rasping

Acrylic is clearer than standard glass but you can get super clear glass like opti white

I didn't like acrylic one bit

I agree 100 percent! Like you said, "unless you are going to empty the tank and move it around the room daily who cares which is lighter "

I agree 100 percent! Like you said, "unless you are going to empty the tank and move it around the room daily who cares which is lighter "

You might care if you move every year or two, are putting the tank on the second floor on a wall that might not be load-bearing so every pound counts, or you have to mail order because none of the local stores carries anything bigger than a 55. All valid reasons.

You might care if you move every year or two, are putting the tank on the second floor on a wall that might not be load-bearing so every pound counts, or you have to mail order because none of the local stores carries anything bigger than a 55. All valid reasons.

Let me start by saying, I am not judging anyone's life style. BUT, if you move every year or two, maybe a 55+ tank isn't for you. If you Kano that you will be moving around a lot and don't have people to help you move the tank, get something smaller like a 20 gallon. If your floor isn't strong enough for glass tank, go with acrylic. But like I said, if you do move arould that much (I live in a apartment so I know how it is.) then maybe a larger tank shouldn't be an option.

Well I got a small acrylic tank made to save weight 30x15x12 and a glass tank was ligher

Also access into the top of some acrylic tanks can be a problem

Also acrylic tanks hold heat better than glass which can be a issue keeping a marine tank cool

They do scratch like crazy not just the inside but the outside to
You can't notice this to much with the tank lights on but when sun light hits the dark tank they look a mess

If you don't have any friends who will help you move a tank every year when you can't pay your rent then get acrylic

Also it's only BIG tanks that work out cost effective

As for saving floor weight you won't save that much between glass and acrylic if you are that close to full weight don't risk it anyway or you will be putting any friends you have on the scales before they enter the room

Well I got a small acrylic tank made to save weight 30x15x12 and a glass tank was ligher

Also acrylic tanks hold heat better than glass which can be a issue keeping a marine tank cool

You can't notice this to much with the tank lights on but when sun light hits the dark tank they look a mess

If you don't have any friends who will help you move a tank every year when you can't pay your rent then get acrylic

As for saving floor weight you won't save that much between glass and acrylic if you are that close to full weight don't risk it anyway or you will be putting any friends you have on the scales before they enter the room

Wow. Clearly you don't know any military families and you clean your tank with Brillo pads. Yes, you should stick to glass. My acrylic has survived for years with hardly a scratch in spite of a number of moves (which have had nothing whatsoever to do with rent) and kids in the house. But then, I take good care of it.

Lol that made me laugh since we're all on enforced diets after Christmas.

Wow. Clearly you don't know any military families and you clean your tank with Brillo pads. Yes, you should stick to glass. My acrylic has survived for years with hardly a scratch in spite of a number of moves (which have had nothing whatsoever to do with rent) and kids in the house. But then, I take good care of it.

It's my opinion

You haven't kept rays pleco or flagtail which yes are like a brilo pad rubbing the tank

You shouldn't be limited to what fish you can or can't keep just because of what the tanks made of
Tank size yes but nothing else

Wow this seems like a perfect time to jump in:) i actually just made a product thats like a big phone screen protector for acrylic tanks so bam, acrylic is better now haha:) no but for real im pretty sure its against the rules for me to advertise my company name or anything on here so just check out the classifieds!

Wow this seems like a perfect time to jump in:) i actually just made a product thats like a big phone screen protector for acrylic tanks so bam, acrylic is better now haha:) no but for real im pretty sure its against the rules for me to advertise my company name or anything on here so just check out the classifieds!

If acrylic doesn't scratch like mentioned above the your product is useless

Back
Top Bottom