Glassfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I heard the following about glassfish: "Hardy, mild tempered, needs some live food, can get fungus wo a little salt:" Then I got some. I wanted them to be crumb eaters after the big sloppy fish, but found them to be very aggressive against their own kind even w 5+ in the tank. They were poor eaters, chewed flakes then spit them out; and got velvet in the mouth. Is there a definitive answer about the pros and cons of glassfish?

What do you do about them terrorizing each other. I have one or 2 that get badgered so hard by the bullies of the bunch that they're afraid to do anything besides cower in the deepest plants. I'm afraid they are going starve to death

I would think the best thing to do would be to increase their numbers so the aggression gets spread out more. I'd always been under the impression they were peaceful. Also, the salt's not necessary.

I bought 5 of them when petsmart had them 5 fro 5 dollars. in two weeks I was down to three because they were fighting like crazy. Now I have one, he doesnt mess with any other fish in the tank only fought with the glass fish.

are you talking about this glass fish?
http://www.petsmart.com/global/arti...9171&FOLDER<>folder_id=9852723696503937&N=230

i only have four now (from 5), but they never fight. they assert themselves when it comes to stealing bloodworms, while i keep other small fish with them (neons, columbian tetras, glass cats...) they never bother them, but i also have 4 bigger kissing gouramis and moonlight gouramis who have claimed dominace perhaps?

i think even my small male cherry barb chases them around every so often

I have 4 of them and what I started out with was 4. They are nippy, just as my serpaes and white skirt tetras are. I have 8 white skirts the glass fish fit right in with and group with them nicely. Before my glass fish and just the white skirts everything was fine. I added in 8 serpae and all hell broke lose. I had to add tall plants and more decorations and all calmed down in there.

Still chunks missing out of fins at times and some darting around but nothing major.

Back
Top Bottom