glo fish in CA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPCustoms

Aquarium Advice Freak
i live in california and i really like the glo fish but it says they are illegal because they are geneticaly modified fish. is there anyone else in california been able to get around this law?

KPCustoms said:
i live in california and i really like the glo fish but it says they are illegal because they are geneticaly modified fish. is there anyone else in california been able to get around this law?

I haven't:( but really want too. They are really cool fish!

I have heard you can go to another state and bring them in yourself and it's just shipping them in illegal but I don't know if that is true

Possibly with an exotics license, but those are a pain to get ahold of and pricey, or so I have heard. For the general public, I would imagine there is no legal way around it. But, I will look into personal transport into the state. That's an interesting alternative.

Nope, possession is illegal so there would be no legal way to transport. I'm sorry. I personally do not agree with animal bans, but that's a whole different thing to get on.

Nope, possession is illegal so there would be no legal way to transport. I'm sorry. I personally do not agree with animal bans, but that's a whole different thing to get on.

It's sad that the only thing keeping them from going back to legal is that the company cannot afford the required study by the gov to allow it.
Alot of people would have issues with your second comment but I will not go into that! lol

I think some animal bans are necessary because people unfortunately are not responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really understand why them being genetically modified is such a big deal though I mean they are awesome and they are healthy fish idk I don't think it should be illegal

I don't really understand why them being genetically modified is such a big deal though I mean they are awesome and they are healthy fish idk I don't think it should be illegal
They are afraid a tropical genetically modified bright neon fish will escape in a too cold environment and endanger the local wildlife.

That and the ethics side of it. Not everyone agrees in tampering with the genetics of fish. And sorry to throw my opinion out there. Still flustered from the python ban. I'll delete it.

The aquarium shop where I live (CA) sells glo danios. They use some of them as feeder fish. They are not too fond of glo fish. I believe the retail associate called them "genetically engineered freaks".

That and the ethics side of it. Not everyone agrees in tampering with the genetics of fish. And sorry to throw my opinion out there. Still flustered from the python ban. I'll delete it.
Hey dont apolagize for your opinion! And dont feel like you have to delete it! The only reason I am for them is because of idiotic people that release them in the wild. If it werent for that then I would not want as many animal bans.
Somebody released a pacu in a local lake here. Kinda scary considering what those fish do to people.....rivermonsters has ruined me!

Back
Top Bottom