Glofish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 9 and they are really fun to watch. They get along great with my neon tetras, ottos, cory cats and Platy's. If someone gets in their way they will chase them, but they are super fun and super cute.

Mr. Limpet said:
But then again, so are ferrets and I've seen quite a few here in the SFBA.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

That's true but like you said it's not worth it. I'm happy with my regular ones. LOL.

GloFish are a genetically modified version of the Zebra Danio (Danio rerio) that were introduced to the market by Yorktown Technologies in 2003. It was developed in 1999 by Dr. Zhiyuan Gong at the National University of Singapore from a gene called green fluorescent protein extracted from a jellyfish. This is inserted in the danio embryo to create the bright color. It was originally designed to detect pollution by fluorescing in the presence of certain environmental toxins.

Since they are derived from the Zebra Danio, adding Zebras to the tank should be a viable option. Zebra Danios are much more common than GloFish and are often the least expensive fish in the store (besides feeders). Danios who misbehave often become better community tank citizens when around several of their own kind. Danios that are kept in too small a group can often become fin nippers. They are a high energy fish and need something to distract them. They are also one of my favorites!

They can easily be kept in a 10-gal, even in a large group. It depends on how many other fish are kept in the tank with them.

Back
Top Bottom