Glofish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay jay

Aquarium Advice Freak
Who know them they look cool but idk anything bout them.

They are genetically modified fish, usually zebra danios but they now have glo skirt tetras and glo tiger barbs. A jellyfish gene is injected to the eggs, which gives them their intense color. They do look cool, but the whole thing is so commercial I tend to just stay away.

They are genetically modified fish, usually zebra danios but they now have glo skirt tetras and glo tiger barbs. A jellyfish gene is injected to the eggs, which gives them their intense color. They do look cool, but the whole thing is so commercial I tend to just stay away.

So there hard to breed

They also need a 20g tank so they have enough room to swim, but like bud said, good luck selling the offspring

I personally like the glofish danios. They are beautiful and active fish that have colors most people associate with marine fish.

It says 3g at petsmart

Technically you could keep them in a 3G... But to keep them alive much longer and much happier 20g would give them the ample amount of space to swim that they like. I used to have zebras in a 10g they were okay at best, but once in a larger tank they were much happier. PetSmart usually doesn't supply the best of knowledge. To be honest over half their information is wrong-at best. Especially with the plants;)

Really where is the best place to go that there's people who know what there talking about? And I have a plant but it looked kind of dead

Probably here. You should post a picture of the plant. It may be not an aquatic plant (probably).

I'll take one when I get home. I'm at work right now. So how does the buying and selling happen on here?

Like how do I sell a fish to someone? How do I get the money or if I'm buying how to I pay for it?

Post an ad in the classified forum. If you're the seller, paypal is usually the least complicated way to go (that's what I use for the test tube caps). Make sure you have all the shipping rates figured out first.

If you're the buyer, again, Paypal is usually the easiest way to go.

Ok thanks now I just need to get fish that people would want. All I have now is fancy guppies. Lol

You're going to breed and sell? Make sure that none of what you are breeding are covered by patents (ie, Glofish), and you will need to work out some sort of guarantee with your buyers that your fish are healthy and will stay alive for X days after arrival.

Additionally, shipping of livestock can be tricky, especially in the middle of the summer. You will need to pack them well, keep them cool, and overnight them in their bags.

It's non-trivial.

Your livestock must be healthy and viable. Shipping must be coordinated, and will not be cheap. You will not get a shipping discount for a small operation (the way that places like LiveAquaria can secure).

You will need to have enough tanks to house the parents, and the fry once they are born, as livebearers can and do eat their young.

You need to read up on how to do this before diving in. You can't half {mod edit} the operation, and it must be carefully planned and executed. Trying to rush it will just result in dead livestock and upset customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an example of shipping a 2lb package, 8 inches cube, from my zip to California. Not cheap. You will have added expense of padding around the bag plus chill packs to keep it from overheating in the summer heat.

Attachments

• fedex.jpg
    fedex.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom