Glofish hardiness? Danio or Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think we are getting close to adding our final group of fish to our 20g community. The kids want glofish which I'm fine with but I thought I read somewhere that because of the inbreeding of them that their health/hardiness may not be as strong as their non-glofish species (especially the danio). We will get a school (6) of either the glo danio or tetras. Thoughts on health and/or danio vs tetra for the tank?

20g, temp 77-78.5, current stock is: 3 male platies, 1 male swordtail, 1 bolivian ram, 3 amano shrimp.

Attachments

• PXL_20201026_133411356.jpg
    PXL_20201026_133411356.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 118
I have also heard people's accounts of the fish being weak in general. Also that they live less long than the same regular version fish. I haven't ever kept the Glo-fish.

Maybe some real life keepers can share their experience. On longevity.

If the real person accounts are notable, then a conversation with the kids about the possibility that Pinkie and their friends might not live as long as a different choice, might allow them to make a different choice.

If those are the fish you (or kids) prefer, then select only fish from a healthy active tank, no ill or "iffy" looking fish. That will help you have a better possible start.

These are not injected with dye, or tattooed which those fish for sure have been handled and treated in a way which usually shortens their life significantly. These are genetically modified so they are naturally the color they are..

AND, please note that the usual fish which these Glo-fish are, most need to be in a group of their same kind to live their best life. Not one of each body shape in the rainbow of colors. Not having a group to hang out with stresses them out a great deal. Except for the Shark and Betta.

There are Tiger Barbs and I think also Cherry Barbs, Dannios, Albino Rainbow sharks, not really suitable for a smaller tank, and the Long and shortfin Tetras - Gymnocorymbus ternetzi aka Blackskirt or Black Widow Tetras which can combine to make a group, though they might still hang out with the short or long fin versions more often.

Thanks for the reply. We definitely plan to get a school (6-7) of the danios or tetras. I may order direct from glofish.com since the price is almost comparable to a local store and theoretically that should cut down on the number of tanks and times the fish are transported. My assumption is that local stores get their fish either direct from glofish.com or a third party seller that got them from glofish.com since legally no others can breed them to resell.

That sounds great. An additional thought is if ordering online you will not necessarily have (or know if you will get) a good male to female fish ratio. You could always pick up a couple extra female fish at the local store if needed.

Btw I was in a Petco today and they were having a Glofish sale, I don't recall what the sale deal was, but at the store I was in ( has a good aquatics mgr) they looked really good.

And just in case anyone reads this in the future hopefully it will help them to understand the fish are different kinds and need groups! Look forward to hearing how they are all doing when you get them.

Great tip. I went into Petco yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by how great all of the fish (glofish and other tanks) looked. Got 7 glotetras that are now in our quarantine tank.

Faster fun! Glad you found them looking good. The department manager really can make a difference. Our local store got a renovation in the tanks /Aquatics department and after going through several mgrs, now a good one. Our store had double tanks of most the colors and they looked better than the similar fish. (I paid a little attention due to your post and how many their were. ) A gazillion pink ones, hahaha! Betta Glofish though they looked thin and iffy.

Back
Top Bottom