Glofish, Jan 4th, and you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Megalofyia

Aquarium Advice Freak
As unpopular as these little fish may be has anyone actually seen any for sale yet? Is anyone going to buy some? After much thought about this I have decided I would at least like to see these fish up close and live. Curiousity is getting the better of me.

I have seen them for sale here in ohio for quite some time now. I took a clost look at them, and I don't see the big deal. I personally won't by any for my tank because Dano's just aren't me...but paying $5.99 for one while I can get about 10 of the "regular" dano's for the same price just doesn't seem right. And while you can tell there is a coral colored sheen to them, it's not that dramatic. But that's just my opinion.

There was a news article on a local news station ab out them.

This was what the fishstore owner had to say about them " The great thing about these fish is that they floresce because of genetics, So their babies will have this same trait, and so on and so forth. Giving you something to enjoy for a very long time "

Obviously, no one informed this LFS OWNER that they are a sterile fish. :roll:

Actually I've read in a few places that they will reproduce and will pass this trait on to the offspring.

I've seem them for sale here in Canada. They were at a SuperPet store, on sale for $12.99 (down from the regular $15.99 each). Crazy!

They look just okay to me, not terribly exciting. Basically a danio with some red on it. I don't plan on purchasing any.

Yeah I just found out a place in Austin is selling them for 12.99. There is another place that says when they get them they will probablly sell for 5 -6 dollars a fish.

There have been several threads recently here about the fish, and the consensus seems to be that they are disappointing. I saw them last week and they had a black light above the tank, but the tank was dark as ink, and the fish barely visible. I could not see any dramatic difference, and I would have liked to have seen the tank under normal aquarium lighting to get a better look at them. These that I saw did not "glow." They were offered for $7.99.

I saw them the other day at Superpet during their boxingday specials. They were in a brightly lit planted tank with Discus. Not much difference fron regular danios, just an orange highlight on its back, and much more expensive.

Even if you can breed them you can get sued if you sell them. Believe it or not the company has the patent on these fish. Meaning only they can sell them to retailers and anyone else selling them is breaking the law.

I saw them at lfs this weekend, at $15 each. I don't think they are that great looking - just loike regular Danios with an orange stripe down the back. IMO a school of neons looks far better (not to mention cheaper).

According to the article I read, the glo-fish are sterilized at source, so will not breed.

I saw them at lfs this weekend, at $15 each. I don't think they are that great looking - just like regular Danios with an orange stripe down the back. IMO a school of neons looks far better (not to mention cheaper).

According to the article I read, the glo-fish are sterilized at source, so will not breed.

I saw them last week at one of my LFS. Don't remember the price. They were not that interesting to me though, just Danios with a red tint. Actually at a close look they looked like they were sick because of the color. I would not by them for my tanks.

i think they would be sterilized intentionally, or else someone would mate a pair and sell them for the $2 theyre worth, not $15. they had them at the lfs. the only people impressed by them were under 8 or didnt know anything about aquaria. 8O

fish_doc said:
Even if you can breed them you can get sued if you sell them. Believe it or not the company has the patent on these fish. Meaning only they can sell them to retailers and anyone else selling them is breaking the law.

Oh, give me a break. I think I'll patent my dog.

That's just horse ****.

I saw them at our LFS, $5.99 each, and I was thoroughly disappointed. I had been hoping they would be mind-blowingly pink like the photo on Tropical Fish Hobbyist a few months back. But, much like what others have said, they just seems to be zebra Danio's with a mild red tint, in both black-light (UV) or under normal lamps.
:p What a bust. Not that I had planned to get any. But I was hoping to see something...
just my $0.02

I've seen them at a local chain store. I think they are going for about $6 a piece, and they also had them under a black light. I could tell they were 'shimmery' as others described, but definitely nothing to write home about. And also, I believe a patent only lasts for 'x' amount of years, so it would be okay to sell them after a certain period of time. It seems strange that a company can patent a living thing. I mean, if I bred two types of dogs together to create a new breed, I can patent that? I don't get where you can draw the line.

Oh, give me a break. I think I'll patent my dog.

That's just horse *beep*.

Why do you think all this cloning is for. It is genetic tampering. The sience field can even patent your DNA.

They even state it right on their site. http://www.glofish.com/about.asp#10
and if you click the click here near the end of this page you get this
GLOFISH™ FLUORESCENT FISH LICENSE NOTICE

The GloFish™ fluorescent ornamental fish are intended solely for visual enjoyment as aquarium fish by end users who have purchased these fish from authorized resellers, and not for commercial reproduction. These fish are the subject of various intellectual property rights owned or controlled by Yorktown Technologies, Inc. (“Yorktown”), both in the U.S. and internationally. These rights include (1) patent rights, including published patent applications (2) copyrights; and (3) trademark rights, including slogans and service marks.
By accepting these fish, and as part of the consideration therefor, the recipient agrees: (1) not to, breed or propagate these fish, permit or encourage others to breed or propagate these fish, or otherwise intentionally engage in any activity that may result in or lead to the breeding or propagation of these fish by anyone without the express written consent of Yorktown; (2) not to sell or transfer these fish to anyone in the State of California, or to possess or otherwise engage in any activity that results in the possession of these fish in the State of California.

Back
Top Bottom