GloFish question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I'm thinking about possibly getting glofish for my 34 gallon tank. After doing research, I have found they are just genetically modified zebra danios. So I'm wondering whether or not this genetic modification poses any threat to their health. I don't want to buy fish that will just die but I like the way they look so if they're just as hardy as normal zebra danios, I'm interested in getting some. Also, do any of you know whether or not they will school with regular zebra danios?

:thanks: in advance

In my experiences, the regular danios live longer than the Glofish you see at pet stores. the dye used harms the fish, and they dont live long. in my opinion, i would much rather buy regular danios. and the colored dont school with the regular ime.

In my experiences, the regular danios live longer than the Glofish you see at pet stores. the dye used harms the fish, and they dont live long. in my opinion, i would much rather buy regular danios. and the colored dont school with the regular ime.

Alright, thanks! I'll stick with the regular Zebra Danios. Just thought the GloFish looked cool.

Glofish are not dyed..

The only concern I'd have is that their stock *might* be less hardy since it comes from a smaller intial genetic pool than regular zebras. Personally I kinda find them gimmicky so it's just not my cup of tea.

No problem Bud. ( no pun intended).lol but yeah, they do look awesome, but in the long run regular would be better. Glad to help.

Glofish are not dyed..

The only concern I'd have is that their stock *might* be less hardy since it comes from a smaller intial genetic pool than regular zebras. Personally I kinda find them gimmicky so it's just not my cup of tea.

Yeah they're like 3 dollars more expensive than the regular zebra danios. I was only going to buy some if they could school with regular zebras and were just as hardy.

Sorry, I just now realized i said dyed. i figured they injected them like the black skirt tetras that glow.

Basically the point of coloring them is to appeal to young children, and to coy the parents to get a tank for them with glofish. A marketing tool if you ask me.

Basically the point of coloring them is to appeal to young children, and to coy the parents to get a tank for them with glofish. A marketing tool if you ask me.

Oh, and not just any tank, it HAS to be the one that has special lights to make the GloFish "Glo" more which are way more expensive than regular tanks, way too small for GloFish, and of course, sold by the same group that has patented these GloFish.

aquabeast said:
The tanks are like 1 gallon.

Not always true, the more common ones yes they are a 1.5 gallon. I had one that was a 10 gallon never bought glofish though. Thought about and decided to trade the lights to my lfs for a regular hood

aquabeast said:
Sorry, I just now realized i said dyed. i figured they injected them like the black skirt tetras that glow.

The tetras the company sells are white skirt tetras that are genetically modified like glofish
They were originally for detecting pollution in waterways
The original eggs were from normal zebra danios and injected with jellyfish genes which causes them to glow in the dark
The gene was passed on

The tetras the company sells are white skirt tetras that are genetically modified like glofish
They were originally for detecting pollution in waterways
The original eggs were from normal zebra danios and injected with jellyfish genes which causes them to glow in the dark
The gene was passed on

Yes.....I've read that.

I've had my yellow glofish for about a year now and he still seems to be doing great. Others say they don't school with regular danios which may be true in most but IME mine does, has even chased my female zebra danio whose full of eggs. He wanders off on his own but will swim with the zebras and play with them most of the time.. I do have to agree though price wise you might as well stick with regular zebras unless you plan on buying a glofish tank for them that really shows the awe

Back
Top Bottom