Glofish Tetra and Cycling Tank? New to all of this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaiters2013

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
I am in need of some advice. I have never had a fish before and decided to get a few Tetra Glofish the other day. After doing some research and speaking with pet store employees, I bought 3:fish2: (after setting up the tank the night before). I set up the tank with Tetra safe start and water conditioner in the water 24 hours before placing the new fish in their home. I also have a filter in the tank. After doing further research I kept hearing about cycling the tank.... what is that? I do NOT want to hurt or kill my little guys/gals. Any help/advice is appreciated. :nono: I am so lost.

Hi, I'm also somewhat new but mabe I could help a lil. When you start the tank you put in your tetra safe start which is a Dechlorinator. There's also another product that you add a little bit after that I believe its made by tetra also. Its putting in good bacteria to your tank. Which is needed. Someone with a little more knowledge will probably respond soon hope I help a little. You could probably just look up some videos of a "fishless cycle" which is what your looking for if your not trying to hurt any of your fishies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi :) a fishless cycle actually requires cycling before you buy fish, so it's a little late for that. You will need to do a fish - in cycle. There are some great articles online, but basically you need to buy a water test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, which you can get at any fish store. Don't buy test strips get one with a test tube and drops. Then you test the water in your tank to see how high your levels are and change 50% of the water in your tank every day until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and below 20 nitrates. This can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. Again, there are some great articles online with more detail but that's the basics

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom