Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Glofish Tetra and Cycling Tank? New to all of this...

Hello all,
I am in need of some advice. I have never had a fish before and decided to get a few Tetra Glofish the other day. After doing some research and speaking with pet store employees, I bought 3 (after setting up the tank the night before). I set up the tank with Tetra safe start and water conditioner in the water 24 hours before placing the new fish in their home. I also have a filter in the tank. After doing further research I kept hearing about cycling the tank.... what is that? I do NOT want to hurt or kill my little guys/gals. Any help/advice is appreciated. I am so lost.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Glofish Tetra and Cycling Tank? New to all of this...

Hi, I'm also somewhat new but mabe I could help a lil. When you start the tank you put in your tetra safe start which is a Dechlorinator. There's also another product that you add a little bit after that I believe its made by tetra also. Its putting in good bacteria to your tank. Which is needed. Someone with a little more knowledge will probably respond soon hope I help a little. You could probably just look up some videos of a "fishless cycle" which is what your looking for if your not trying to hurt any of your fishies.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi a fishless cycle actually requires cycling before you buy fish, so it's a little late for that. You will need to do a fish - in cycle. There are some great articles online, but basically you need to buy a water test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, which you can get at any fish store. Don't buy test strips get one with a test tube and drops. Then you test the water in your tank to see how high your levels are and change 50% of the water in your tank every day until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and below 20 nitrates. This can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. Again, there are some great articles online with more detail but that's the basics

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
cycling, cycling tank, fish, glofish, tan, tank, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com