"GloFish" the new Zebra Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Premise #1: God is all powerful.

Premise #2: God is not bound by time.... in fact he created time along with everything else.

Given these simple truths, God actually supports the creation of the colored Zebras.... in fact... it was his will. :D

How you ask? Simple. God created the scientist who invented them. More importantly, God created everything about the scientist.. including his soul.. that would make him "choose" to create the colored Zebras. In fact, as God was creating this scientist's soul, he was very aware that the scientist would eventually create that fish (God is not bound by time).

People may argue "free will, free will", but the fact remains that everything that there is that would lead you to make a decision was provided by God.

So God supports these little scientific marvels and those who oppose him shall burn in hell!
:twisted: j/k :lol:

lol AtodaJ. That makes total sense in a weird twisted sort of way ;p

I think its time to move on people. We could argue this one till the end of time. As the old saying goes, opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one. ;p

OK, we all need a good laugh here. ....

AtodaJ, your argument reminded me of this:

Premise: Humans are part of nature.

Therefore: All things created by humans are natural.

Conclusion: Nothing can be artificial or unnatural!

:D

alright snapcrackler. its just that in this day in age you can never know, ESPECIALLY when we are typing :wink: . i have actually had people tell me that there is no evil in the world and that it is all in our heads. anyways, yea i really dont care about any of this stuff anymore, however i do care about fish. peace
steve

jsoong said:
Premise: Humans are part of nature.

Therefore: All things created by humans are natural.

Conclusion: Nothing can be artificial or unnatural!

:D

That reminds me of the logical dilemmas presented in I.Q. tests:
If humans are a part of nature, and all things created by humans are natural, is it possible for anything articifial to exist?

:lol:

if sally has 5 tangs more than johnny has clowns, how many protein skimmers does billy need for a tank 5 times smaller than sally's with the a bioload of 9 times johnnys?

Smonkey15 said:
atodaj, by your views evil does not exist. is that what you believe?
steve

Hehehe... Actually evil does exist by my view. Evil is also God's creation. He created everything my friend.... including Lucifer. Evil has no power over God and exists by his grace.

alright, well we will make ourselves go insane if we just keep going around in circles!! sinuhe, nah, i'm not THAT politically or religiously outspoken. actually it is just a funny picture of a sheep(looks funnier bigger) that i used in a powerpoint presentation i did on jews in spain in the middle ages for a spanish class once. i used that picture on the "food" slide.
steve

OK, so we all want to lighten up. I'm trying to respect that, but this seems a serious (and fascinating) subject, and entirely germane to this board. We're discussing genetically modified fish marketed solely for freshwater aquariums, and this is the busiest fishie/aquarium board I've found. If we're not going to discuss this development soberly, in practical lay terms, who will?

I think God is wonderful (if you believe), and I think science is wonderful. For the most part, I think people are wonderful. I think debate is a wonderful tool, both for enlightenment, and for ironing out differences between us. Mostly, I think we inhabit a wonderful world, as in `full of wondrous things'. Whether you ask God to help you appreciate that wonder, or science, or both, seems totally irrelevant to me. What matters is the depth of your appreciation.

Unquestionably, these are amazing times we live in, with monumental discoveries happening every week. If anything, the process seems to be accelerating. The Hubble telscope opens cosmic windows that afford us a glimpse of the origins of time and space. Physicist's actively probe the basest measure of sub-atomic particles, looking for the irreduceable strings that might finally bind matter and energy into a unified whole. And geneticists develop tools that clearly diagram the precise blueprint of tenuous, tenacious, miraculous life. We are all priviledged to witness all of this, whether we ever derive direct benefit from it or not.

I will not deny anyone their faith in God, if they will return the favor and not deny me my faith in humanity. I think there are enough miracles to go around.

These genetic tools that science has acquired to manufacture these odd little dayglo fish have all sorts of miraculous, mind-blowing potential, for good and evil. I expect they will be used 99.99% for the greater good, but if by chance they are ever used for evil, I want armies of good people trained, practiced and ready to immediately repair the damage.

Finally, I don't put much stock into evil genius. Genius is too damn hard for evil, rendering any such attempt clumsy and foolish. True genius can only be motivated by faith, hope and charity.

fishfoo said:
Finally, I don't put much stock into evil genius. Genius is too damn hard for evil, rendering any such attempt clumsy and foolish. True genius can only be motivated by faith, hope and charity.

If there is to be harm brought about by messing with genetics, it most likely won't be brought about by an evil man. It will happen at the hands of very intelligent, well intentioned people who simply make a horrible mistake... one that everyone will have to pay for.

???

All I can say after reading the 6 pages of posts is: "That's a mighty deep subject for my shallow little mind."

BTW - there IS evil in the world. Haven't you ever seen a "painted" tetra?

IT's a JOKE, people - just a joke!!! - Guppyman

AtodaJ said:
If there is to be harm brought about by messing with genetics, it most likely won't be brought about by an evil man. It will happen at the hands of very intelligent, well intentioned people who simply make a horrible mistake... one that everyone will have to pay for.
I agree to a point. A lot of the inventions causing the most suffering and harm to people were originally developed for something useful, or at least most of the research that lead into them had different motivations. But that doesn't mean that we should researching and developing new things altogether.

agreed. the point is not even that the advances in science are used in evil ways. if we can weed through the stem cells to find one that we know will live a normal healthy lifestyle, and it brings nothing but good from doing it, does that make it appropriate? i would say no.
steve

Sinuhe said:
I agree to a point. A lot of the inventions causing the most suffering and harm to people were originally developed for something useful, or at least most of the research that lead into them had different motivations. But that doesn't mean that we should researching and developing new things altogether.

I never suggested we stop our technological advance. All I'm saying is that if something happens it most likely won't be due to an evil man.

Oh... and the question really isn't whether something bad will happen... it's more like when. It might take 1,000 years but there will be a man made tragedy. We are only human and humans make mistakes. The more power we wield the more costly those mistakes become.

Maybe we've just created a strain of man eating red zebra fish! 8O j/k :lol:

I read somewhere they injected the gene from fluorescent jellyfish into a monkey and his eyes glowed... or something along those lines.

But it so happens when I was looking at fish last night they had Glo Fish ( I didn't know they were created in a lab or anything) and the guy said they seem to be really fragile and their color fades really quickly- that those are the complaints of those fish.

But yah.. whats next Glow-puppys?

Back
Top Bottom