Glofish. What exactly are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know they are danios, but are they a normal coloration or are they dyed? It seems kind of an unnaturally bright fish... ???

I know they are danios, but are they a normal coloration or are they dyed? It seems kind of an unnaturally bright fish... ???

Thy are genetically modified danios or black skirt tetras depends the kind. They are not died. It's the normal coloration of the danios their babies ore the same colour. However as they are genetically modified they can't be found in the wild and are illegal in countries such as canada.

Thy are genetically modified danios or black skirt tetras depends the kind. They are not died. It's the normal coloration of the danios their babies ore the same colour. However as they are genetically modified they can't be found in the wild and are illegal in countries such as canada.

Oooh. Ok thank you. Are you sure they are illegal in Canada? That sucks. I live in Canada. :(

They are zebrafish "zebra danios" that have been injected with the DNA of jelly fish when they're eggs resulting in the vibrant colors.

Edit: ahh ninjad! It's also technically illegal to breed them and sell them because of copy rights and stuff

They are zebrafish "zebra danios" that have been injected with the DNA of jelly fish when they're eggs resulting in the vibrant colors.

Ok. I wonder why they are illegal... It doesn't seem mean to the fish... But then again, I don't really know anything about it :p

I have a glo tank. It has the glo barbs, which look like tiger barbs with green and red. They glo well, the glo tetra is sweet, but has a temper, I ended up getting rid of him. But the glo danios, I have 8, really the only ones that really "glow" are the green, orange, and red, the pink, and blue are cool, but they don't really glow like the others. If you want to do cool glow tank. I would do only red, orange, and green danios, with cardinal tetras, they look sweet with the glo LED, which is basically just blue LEDS. Also the Glowlight Tetra (not a glo fish) looks pretty cool to, doesn't really glow, but It looks cool in the light.

Attachments

• image-786287568.jpg
    image-786287568.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 124
Not the best pic, but you can see the yellow, green, and red, and cardinals pretty well.

I have 7 adult glofish and over 100 fry in a ten gallon. I see a bunch of the green and pink fry but most of then look to be normal danios because when colors mix they come out regular. They are illegal to sell because of a patent. If you were closer I would send you as many as you wanted after they grow for another month. Here is a pic or two of the fry
The second pic is when they were hatching. You can see the colors better in person.

Attachments

• image-3065301344.jpg
    image-3065301344.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3612015043.jpg
    image-3612015043.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1636176107.jpg
    image-1636176107.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 93
I have 7 adult glofish and over 100 fry in a ten gallon. I see a bunch of the green and pink fry but most of then look to be normal danios because when colors mix they come out regular. They are illegal to sell because of a patent. If you were closer I would send you as many as you wanted after they grow for another month. Here is a pic or two of the fry
The second pic is when they were hatching. You can see the colors better in person.

Aw thanks :) yeah the colored fry look really cool! :)

I wonder if it is illegal to acquire them from the states or other countries...

Back
Top Bottom